cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone achieving 1gig from hub 4 over wifi or ethernet?

N3m3sis1
On our wavelength

N3m3sis1_0-1629722877696.png

25 REPLIES 25

jem101
Superstar

You got your WAN link aggregation working properly then?

N3m3sis1
On our wavelength

Well, sort of.

I have two Nic's in my pc. A 1GbE integrated Intel 82579LM and a Realtek 2.5GbE.

I teamed them together, however I was unable to get over 955Mbs until I read this page https://www.speedguide.net/articles/windows-7-vista-2008-tweaks-2574  (There is a similar page there for Windows 10, if you are okay with using netsh and editing the registry)

It was there that I found out that windows throttles connections by default, so I disabled it by setting "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile
NetworkThrottlingIndex=ffffffff"

Whoosh! up it went. I still plan to get a dual port 2.5GbE nic card though, seeing as I can team them without having a managed network switch to implement link aggregation, as I think the 1GbE integrated Nic is a bottleneck.

Windows says this currently under link speed:

N3m3sis1_0-1629724996121.png

Having said that, I might get a 2.5GbE "unmanaged" switch to put in between the HUB4 and the pc as the ports on the Hub3 in modem mode can only handle 1gbs max

adhsmith
On our wavelength
Are you sure you are actually getting more than 1GB the fast.com report can be a little flakey perhaps due to buffering or something as I have seen 800Mb on my 600Mb connection.

If the hub doesn't have aggregation then you can't get more than 1Gb from a 1Gb interface, you would need an option to team/LAG both sides, so I doubt a couple of 2.5Gb NICs are going to help you unless you are connecting to other systems on your network with high bandwidth capability, for example I run dual 10Gb connections to an unmanaged hub with no teaming and SMB3 will do its magic and create a multichannel connection giving 20Gb between my PC and my NAS which is nice for big video transfers.

N3m3sis1
On our wavelength

N3m3sis1_0-1630584071333.png

After doing some reading I have switched tack. Bought a HP 656241-001 361T PCI-e 2-Port Gigabit Ethernet Adapter, used Intel® PROSet to set up Static Link Aggregation, disabled all TCP/UDP checksum offloading and Large Send offloading, Enabled Flow control Rx & Tx, enable RSS and set RSS queues to 8, set netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=experimental from the command prompt and a couple of other registry tweaks:Disabled HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile/NetworkThrottlingIndex and reduced the threshold of SystemResponsiveness = 10 instead of default =20

N3m3sis1_1-1630585240558.png

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

After seeing this VM may lock the hub 4 ports too one in modem mode🤑

---------------------------------------------------------------

N3m3sis1
On our wavelength

Why would VM want to do that?

Surely, it just shows what the HUB4 is capable of when it's usage is tweaked a little?😎

Not sure how you're seeing 1.8 Gbps as the hub sets the speed limit through its configuration and that governs the connection between hub and CMTS, which for Gig1 is normally around 1 170 000 000 bits per second, visible in the Configuration data for the Primary Downstream Service Flow against the description Max Traffic Rate.  Shotgunning the ethernet ports won't make any difference to the speed limit.

Assuming all is above board and Max Traffic Rate is around 1.8 Gbps, then either you're enrolled in one of VM's official trials that you'd know about, or you could be temporarily and perhaps unknowingly enrolled in a short term field trial.  If it is 1.17, then the Fast.com report is simply wrong?

I have a PC with Gigabit connection connected directly to the Hub4 via a Cat 5e Gigabit cable - Distance about 4 to 5 metres.Connected to my hub presently and for all testing are my pc and my iphone 8. I previously had an M600 package with almost identical issues then whilst transiting to the 1Gb package, moved to M200 for about a week and that work flawlessly from start to finish!!! 

I had 1Gb installed last week and haven't got anything greater than 943Mbps but overall average is around 4-500Mbps?

I have used countless speedtests and are generally in unison that my connection is slow - Realspeed Samknows shows anything from 350 to 980 but usually is in the 400's.My upload speeds are averaging around 50, latency around 15 and packet loss always less than 1.0 (last check was -0.121.

Regards wifi, my phone on last check using Samknows was 397 to hub and 319 to phone - Ookla test was 479 up and 49.5 down. Overall any test on my phone will show anything from 69Mbps to 500Mbps sitting right next to the router?

I'm confused as to why a) I'm not getting a decent speed e.g. always over say 850 and b. Why my readings are so widely variable?

Last speed test run/ethernet:
nperf.com: down 246 up 51.63
Fast.com: down 290 up 50
Samknows: down 390 down 293
Thinkbroadband: down 215 up 39.7
Ookla Website: down 351 up 52.84
Ookla Windows app: down 676 up 52.80

iPhone 8 Wifi: Ookla app: down 358 up 43.5    Realspeed Samknows: down 397 down 319

@ewhitey wrote:

I have a PC with Gigabit connection connected directly to the Hub4 via a Cat 5e Gigabit cable - Distance about 4 to 5 metres.Connected to my hub presently and for all testing are my pc and my iphone 8. I previously had an M600 package with almost identical issues then whilst transiting to the 1Gb package, moved to M200 for about a week and that work flawlessly from start to finish!!! 

I had 1Gb installed last week and haven't got anything greater than 943Mbps but overall average is around 4-500Mbps?

I have used countless speedtests and are generally in unison that my connection is slow - Realspeed Samknows shows anything from 350 to 980 but usually is in the 400's.My upload speeds are averaging around 50, latency around 15 and packet loss always less than 1.0 (last check was -0.121.

Regards wifi, my phone on last check using Samknows was 397 to hub and 319 to phone - Ookla test was 479 up and 49.5 down. Overall any test on my phone will show anything from 69Mbps to 500Mbps sitting right next to the router?

I'm confused as to why a) I'm not getting a decent speed e.g. always over say 850 and b. Why my readings are so widely variable?

Last speed test run/ethernet:
nperf.com: down 246 up 51.63
Fast.com: down 290 up 50
Samknows: down 390 down 293
Thinkbroadband: down 215 up 39.7
Ookla Website: down 351 up 52.84
Ookla Windows app: down 676 up 52.80

iPhone 8 Wifi: Ookla app: down 358 up 43.5    Realspeed Samknows: down 397 down 319

With the greatest of respect you should have done your research before buying.

A gigabit port will max out at around 940mb in ideal conditions, so it is impossible to get higher on a single connection with a hub 4. 50mb is the max upload speed on that connection tier.

The hub4 only uses ac wifi (wifi5). The speed will vary massively on the device connecting, distance and interference in your area. Max of about 600 on mine at best.

Your speed are highly variable because either your signal to your hub is out of spec and/or there is not enough capacity to maintain those speeds on your area.

In short, the hub4 is not very good, the infrastructure virgin uses is not very good, virgins advertising is not very good calling it 'one gig'.

In reality the only realistic way to get 1 gig on virgin is to be downloading on multiple devices simultaneously.