cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Speed Drop Issue NOT the Dreaded 94meg one

johndm
Superfast

I have 1 gig service with a Hub 4 in modem mode and use a TP Link AC2300 router.

My Acer laptop ethernet speed suddenly dropped to 500meg, believe it was after the latest window 11 update but not 100% sure.

My Acer desktop with the same network card remained a solid 945meg,

Swapped ethernet cables, connected laptop to another port on my modem, tried another port on the hub 4, rebooted everything, updated everything, but max rate still 500meg on the Laptop.

Did some research, turns out it was the Killer network services running causing the issue.

My laptop and desktop have the same Killer NIC (Network Interface Card), from Killer Gaming (now a subsidiary of Intel Corporation)

However, the desktop does not have the Killer Performance suite installed, but my laptop does along with 4 services running that do not appear on my desktop.

These are,

Killer Analytics service

Killer Dynamic Bandwidth Management

Killer Network Service

Killer Smart AP Selection Service

I changed all these to disabled, Removed the Killer Network Suite program, rebooted and now back running at 945mb 🙂

Hope this info might help others having speed issues, I'm reading other makes of computer are also affected with this issue

Regards

John

4 REPLIES 4

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
I have to wonder why the Killer Performance suite would do this...surely Intel tested it to pass 945Mb so why limit to 500Mb...is it that past this 500Mb the latency is some how bad so it limits the speed?
---------------------------------------------------------------

As I'm not a gamer I'm not bothered with latency, but I guess many are?
My Acer Laptop is actually a Nitro gaming machine, but I only got it as the spec matched my requirements.
Guess there might be a few gamers not happy with this issue?

I think is must have been the recent windows 11 update, been running ay 945 solid for a year (except when I had the 94meg drop problem which is now sorted)

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there johndm,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Just out of interest, is this still apparent when the Hub is in router mode?

Regards,

Kain

No idea Kain, I never use router mode.
Just find a machine running the Killer Performance Suite and see for yourself maybe?