cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Broadband Speed Problem

Cayman295
Joining in

Hi All

Due to a suspicion on the speed of my Broadband I carried out a speed test using Virginmedia speed test software and a third party app

Initial results were 25 upload and 27 download.  This was carried out on my laptop and mobile phone within 1 meter of the modem.   Connect via cable shows results of 386.3 & 37.1.  This proves that incoming speed to the modem is fine but the output speed is poor.  

Rebooting the modem or carrying out a factory reset improves the speed to 246.9 and 36.9.  However after 24 hours its back down to what it was previously.

I have been onto Virginmedia customer service who initially were helpfull.  On second call was promised a technical email within 48 hours with a promised solution.   

As I received no email i called again today and got fobbed off with the Broadband customer help document which basically says move everything nearer or buy boosters.

Well I can't get any nearer than 12" and I already have 2off Netgear (Virginmedia) Boosters.

So what can I now do? Contract runs out in July after which it will be binned unless this is resolved.

Any help would be useful.

Thanks 

Trevor

2 REPLIES 2

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your circuit is working as expected, as proven by a wired connection. So it is a wifi issue only

Try a wifi survey to see if there is any local wifi interference. There are many apps in the Play Store.

Split the SSID and manually set the wifi devices to the best band and channel, and switch off the Smart Optrimisation.

• Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
• Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
• Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
• Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID), suggest append _2 to the end.
• Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz, suggest append _5 to the end and click on Apply changes

After this, change the Boosters to the identical settings.
• Try to avoid spaces and periods in the SSID names as they can cause issues with certain devices.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for your help but this is over my head. Not IT technical

Will get a friend to take a look and see what happens

Thanks

Trevor