cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another 1gb customer not getting the speed

Madcatcraig
Tuning in

Hi All,

Recently upgraded from 500 to 1g speeds. Got sent a new hub4, all setup ok but no change in download speed. I am seeing the change in upload speed to 50mb and samknows reports my hub has synced to VM at 1g speeds.

However any internet service i consume will not go any faster than it did before. I cap out at around 480mbps. This includes Samknows, it shows synced at 1gb but only get about 480 over the connection.

I do use my hub in modem mode and all devices are ethernet. I have tested this using the hub as the router with both my high end gaming laptop and my work PC plugged directly into the hub.

I am able to transfer data over my network at wire speed from devices connected so i know its not my network or devices. My wired network is 10gb with the slowest connection being 2.5gb to my router. I get 10gb wire speed between most devices.

I have had power issues in the past which required engineer visits, i have also had "profile" issues in the past where a new profile was not assigned to my account or something along those lines.

As an IT professional of over 20 years I find basic phone support infuriating so thought I would try here.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice

21 REPLIES 21

@thunderchild999 wrote:

HI

No I have not heard a thing from Virgin Media. I am still not even getting half the speed to the router (just 425 MBs)  If they cannot sort this issue they may as well have this router back as I am not paying a premium price for 1.2GB and getting just 425

Reboot your PC in safe mode (with networking) and try speed testing again.

https://support.shaw.ca/t5/internet-articles/how-to-boot-your-computer-in-safe-mode-with-networking-...

You are getting full speed to the HUB over the VM network so the lost speed could be down to the PC itself (You won't see more than 940Mbps due to the 1Gbps Ethernet ports).

The OP already did safe mode reboot with networking and got identical results, if you read the earlier posts you would've seen this.

I got identical issues and really annoyed at the lack of support.

I can obtain full speeds (940Mbps) if I have the PC directly plugged into the HUB in router mode.

Disabling the HUB's router mode, placed it into modem mode, used my own Nighthawk router, freshly factory reset with the latest firmware, no restrictions such as QoS etc. or any modifications, plugged the PC into the Nighthawk then I get half speeds at best.

All cables are CAT5e or CAT6.

I see no bottlenecks in the setup.

https://proof.ovh.net/ shows 459Mbps at peak

HUB says:

Max Traffic Rate