cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another 1gb customer not getting the speed

Madcatcraig
Tuning in

Hi All,

Recently upgraded from 500 to 1g speeds. Got sent a new hub4, all setup ok but no change in download speed. I am seeing the change in upload speed to 50mb and samknows reports my hub has synced to VM at 1g speeds.

However any internet service i consume will not go any faster than it did before. I cap out at around 480mbps. This includes Samknows, it shows synced at 1gb but only get about 480 over the connection.

I do use my hub in modem mode and all devices are ethernet. I have tested this using the hub as the router with both my high end gaming laptop and my work PC plugged directly into the hub.

I am able to transfer data over my network at wire speed from devices connected so i know its not my network or devices. My wired network is 10gb with the slowest connection being 2.5gb to my router. I get 10gb wire speed between most devices.

I have had power issues in the past which required engineer visits, i have also had "profile" issues in the past where a new profile was not assigned to my account or something along those lines.

As an IT professional of over 20 years I find basic phone support infuriating so thought I would try here.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's some tasty kit you have there. Looking at the forums for your Asus router could a recent firmware update have tweaked QoS etc? Have you tried factory resetting the router? 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

21 REPLIES 21

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What Router are you using and are you using QoS as this can slow the Router down.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I am using an Asus gt-ax11000 router, not using any QOS or packet shaping of any type. Network is a flat single subnet.

To add, the speed is the same if i use my own router in modem mode or the hub 4 in router mode with my devices connected directly.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Go into the Hub settings and navigate to the "Configuration data" page.

What numbers are in the "Max Data Transfer Rate" boxes for the Upstream and Downstream connections?

If your upgrade was applied correctly they should start 1xxxxxxx.. (in bps not Mbps). If they dont - try a 60 second Pinhole reset of the Hub and see if that reloads a configuration file.

Mine look like this on an old SH2 and a 200 package

Screenshot 2022-04-04 at 16.41.04.png

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for this, here is my router status.

VMrouterCapture.PNG

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You are on the 1GB service.

Try the test again like this (slight difference)

As you expect >100Mbps then connect a 1GB enabled computer/laptop, with up to date drivers, via a NEW and working Cat5e/6a ethernet cable, "directly" to the Hub which you have first put into “modem mode”
(https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-hub-modem-mode ).
This ensures that NO other devices are connected

Test speeds at https://speedtest.samknows.com/ - try on 2 different browsers.

If they are still low – boot your device into Windows safe+networking mode - to disable any potentially interfering software - and try again.

There are many posts on here (I have a list of ~30!) where QoS software, unknown/flaky software, old network card drivers, corrupted browsers, bad cables or other connected devices are limiting speeds on tests.

Report back what that gets.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Here are the tests run in Chrome and also Edge browsers.

speedchrome.PNGspeededge.PNG

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Is that with the Hub in modem mode and your device in safe+networking mode.

What make of device is it... a Dell by any chance ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

Yup plugged directly into the hub, Safe mode + networking yeilds the exact same result.

Its my own PC. I am not using your average computer/laptop.

Ryzen 5950x, 64gb Ram, Nvidia RTX 3090. NIC is an Intel X550 T1. When plugged into my 10gb switch I get 10gb speeds. I have tried with the intel Proset software installed and without it.

I am able to get almost gigabit wire speeds across the hub 4 when I put it in Router mode and plug my NAS into it. Transferring via HTTP/HTTPS TCP port 80/443.

so the devices and cables are tested good.

line speed.PNG