cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternative modem/router than VM's hub 4/5

davep123456
Tuning in

Looking for cheap alternatives to VM's hubs.

A device that receives DOCSIS 3.1 cable connection, and has several RJ45 sockets to connect other devices to.

Do Docsis 3.1 to Ethernet converter's exist ?

TIA

13 REPLIES 13

rs888
Dialled in
Not possible as VM do not allow non VM supplied modems or gateways on their network.

Best you can hope for is to use your own router and the VM hub in modem mode.

When you say VM won't allow it, does that mean another device non VM will not actually work ?. Or it may work regardless of allowed or not ?

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A non VM cable modem will not work on the VM infrastructure. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The Hub's are provided free to the broadband customer.

I expect this poster knows that too.

Thanks, I'm not being awkward, but why technically would a non VM device not work ?

@davep123456 wrote:

Thanks, I'm not being awkward, but why technically would a non VM device not work ?

Because the hub's mac address is registered to the network.

***********************************************************************************************************************************
BT Full Fibre 900 FTTP - Asus RT-AX82U to Openreach ONT Box & Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup
***********************************************************************************************************************************
My Broadband Ping - BT Full Fibre 900

Apparently you can

I have had a chat with VM and basically I was told yes its possible & allowed. just dont expect and support from VM.Screenshot_20230224_102637_com.whatsapp.jpg

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I think VM CS are confusing 3rd Party routers when using the Hub's in Modem mode.  That's what they will be talking about as yes, they don't offer support etc.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

The chat does not say customers can connect their kit to the end of the coax cable and have VM activate it.

The words Router in this context mean after a VM Hub in modem mode one can use a 3rd party Router.

Following this train of thought may be very interesting, but the end of the line and the buffers are directly ahead.

The USA is one of the very few markets where a CATV / DOCSIS customers are permitted to supply their own cable modems.