Menu
Phileas
Joining in
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Almost unusable area 07

My service has been getting worse recently but in the last few days it's become almost unusable. I'm apparently on 200Mbps. 

I've tried rebooting several times.

This morning I've done several speed tests, the latest results:

Ping 383ms

Download 5.56Mbps

Upload still waiting...

0 Kudos
Phileas
Joining in
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Almost unusable area 07

Although performance has improved in the sense that there've been far fewer dropouts when streaming radio or Spotify, speed test results are still woeful when set against the alleged 200Mbps service:
Latency 500+ms
Download <7Mbps
Upload <8Mbps

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hello Phileas, 

Thanks for posting Smiley Happy

Sorry for your connection troubles. I've just tested your equipment and everything is testing as normal. Are you testing your wireless or hard-wired connection? Ideally we will need to see the results of an Ethernet device. If you don't have a cable, let me know and I can send out one. 

Catch you soon, 

Take care. 

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Phileas
Joining in
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather

The results in my first post were from a wired connection via homeplugs using your preferred test site. I also ran a test via the Virgin website the same day which found no problem with my equipment.

I've just run another wired test - ping 55, upload 9.47Mbps.

Although I've not recently had the same issues with dropouts (although I've had one or two which is way too many given my low requirements) this speed doesn't give much safety margin.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hello Phileas

Area traffic does tend to have a few high peaks in the evening and if you hit one of those it may impact speed but generally it is not that bad which makes me wonder if something else is going on. If not already please make sure that you are using www.speedtest.net leaving the default server with a direct Ethernet connection (not via homeplugs), ideally if you can manage it with a couple of different devices that would be great.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
1_player
Joining in
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

My internet has been dead since 10am, just did the broadband test and it says there's a service disruption in the area.

Hopefully they'll fix it in a reasonable amount of time...

0 Kudos
Phileas
Joining in
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Nicola

I've just run a couple of speed tests using your preferred site with the PC directly connected via Ethernet:

Ping 35ms, 35ms

Download 6.4 & 5.9Mbps

I can't conveniently connect other devices via Ethernet.

I'm still getting the occasional dropout when using internet radio and web pages are extremely slow to load.

I think it's safe to say the speed is way below what it should be.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi Phileas, 

Thanks for keeping in touch, I am sorry to see you have continued to have trouble with your connection.

I have taken a look and I can see there has been an issue with low SNR on the cable but this has now been resolved. 

I can also see there has been a number of T3 timeouts it would be worth you rebooting the hub from the mains so we can monitor the type of timescale the timeouts are occurring in . 

Let me know once this has been done and we will take another look. 

Take care. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Phileas
Joining in
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Emma

I've just rebooted the hub from the mains.

Speak to you (or someone) again in about a week...

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi Phileas, 

Thank you for getting back to me and for rebooting I can see the T3 timeouts have continued but I can also see that the SNR has dropped and FECS have been occurring (noise on the line)

I have raised this to networks to investigate further and will let you know once I know more. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos