cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

500mb - Only getting 90mbs - Wired Connection

GeddyMortgage
Tuning in

As the title suggests,

Last  month we took a contract with the virgin 500mb internet, tried it for the first time today with a hardwired ethernet cable direct from router -> switch ->  PC

And only appear to be getting 90mbs or so.

Any thoughts/ ideas? settings are all completely default.

thanks

13 REPLIES 13

@GeddyMortgage wrote:
The "patch panels" why are the red cat5e cables running from one of the patch panels to the other? what is the point in doing that?

I was thinking the same? so the red cable go to all your rooms then wire to the top patch panel behind it? you could just plug the red cables into the switch.  

---------------------------------------------------------------

hmm... i think the grey/white cables come out of the back of the patch panel..... not sure which one.....but they are the ones that go to all our rooms I think. I can trace them into the cavities from the attic so it must be them.

as for the red and blue, i'm confused....the reds i think are just did but he didnt want to leave the patch panel on top with empty ports by the look of it.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Must be a reason. Why 2 patch panels if only one is to the sockets? Was there 2 BB suppliers and a simple failover using two sets of patch leads? Personally I’d just replace the switch at this point. Detailed investigations can follow by using a cable tester for continuity between patch points and outlets 😊

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

It goes without saying one mans network is another mans problem!

---------------------------------------------------------------