Menu
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

50% of Paid Speed when using own Router Behind Hub3

Hi Guys and Gals,

I don't know if anyone else has had a similar issue to what I have been seeing but I would be interested to know if anyone has seen anything like it.

IMPORTANT: During all testing all other devices on the network have been disconnected including wireless devices to ensure I was getting the most accurate testing results, in all test situation I was connected directly to the 3rd Party router or VM Router using Cat7.

Behind my VM Router (not in modem mode) I have my own router as it has more functionality than the router provided by VM. I use this as I use VLAN's in my home to keep my work stuff and personal stuff separate when I am working from home. I have noticed that I get an internet speed of around 50% of what the actually VM Router is getting. If I am getting around 400mb when connecting my Laptop directly to the VM Router I am getting between 180-200mb via my second router. 

If I remove the router and use a switch the same thing happens. I can confirm that the switch used when connected to another internet connection (500mb) not provided by VM it works just fine. That is the same for the Router that I am using behind the VM Router. 

If I enable Modem Only mode on the VM Router the same thing happens. Is this something funky that VM are doing to stop users using their own routers or is a setting on the router?

If anyone has any suggestions or pointers I would be happy to hear them.

Regards,

Tom

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: 50% of Paid Speed when using own Router Behind Hub3

Hi Tom,

Have you changed the Ethernet cable that runs from the VM SH? Have you connected your Laptop to your router directly with a cable? Generally Laptops do not have anywhere near the speed on WiFi that they show when directly connected. As an engineer I have regularly seen others using routers switches with no issue

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Please PRIVATE MESSAGE ME about saving £50 off of your bill
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I would be going through the settings on your router looking for options such as hardware NAT acceleration and QoS if I were you. VM don't do anything to impede the use of third party routers as many users on here would testify. By the way, what router is it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Just joined
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Both,

Thank you for your suggestions, I have already tried replacing the network cable (no difference) and all tests are completed using a network cable with Wifi Disabled on my laptop. 

I have tried the same test with NAT Acceleration enabled and Disabled. The router should cope with up 1 Gigabits Internet Connection (I am only on a 400mb's connection). 

Again I am currently not using Modem Mode but I will try the same tests later today and see what I get. 

For interest the router I am using is a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter linked below;
https://www.ui.com/edgemax/edgerouter-lite/

Currently running latest firmware.

I will post back the results later today.

Regards,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I don't have any direct experience with using this model of router but reading through the guide and technical specs, what is highly suggestive is that your model seems to have a maximum throughput of 200 Mb/s when 'smart queue' QoS is in use (page 49). I think I'd be digging around in that section and also looking to see if any traffic shaping policies have been applied.

John

0 Kudos