cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

350mb keeps dropping to 90mb

chunk1982
On our wavelength

good evening all, i think i have a couple of issues maybe one with my internet and one with my hub?, i currently have the 350mb package however most days when i try and game online on my pc my internet cuts off for a few seconds/minutes, then reconnects and im stuck at 90mb however only when hardwired, wifi still shows as 350mb!!, ive tried different ports on the hub as well as hardwiring the laptop into the hub along with several ethernet cables and all stays at 90mb, factory resetting the hub via pin hole tends to fix, i have phoned C/S in the past but they just make me hard reset the hub and tell me its ok but surly i shouldnt be having to do this daily??. can anyone offer some advice please. i will post my stats.

57 REPLIES 57

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @chunk1982,

As mentioned by other members of our team, we're not identifying any issues with both our network and your equipment. I've run checks on our systems again and everything is within our standard ranges. I've performed a further analysis into the entire Upstream network that is used by your Hub and there are no signs of high utilisation on our network.

As mentioned by @jem101, we have no way of providing you with a Hub 5 as these are within a closed trial with select Trialists - the team who manages this is constantly changing the Trialist criteria, so you may become eligible and be offered this in the future. In regards to your own modem, you are able to do this, you would simply need to set your Hub to "Modem Mode" and set up your network that way - we don't block this for any of our customers.

You can find out more about Modem Mode here. The only advice that we can provide from here is what has already been mentioned previously.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Lol I know about modern mode I'm running a xr500 gaming router

Also being able to switch the hub into modem mode is NOT USING MY OWN MODEN  jeeze 🤦🤦🤦

Isn't the issue here that the port link drops to 100Mb? or is this problem a way of hoping to get a hub 5?
---------------------------------------------------------------

chunk1982
On our wavelength

Go read the comments

I suffered drops to 94 meg every couple of days on hub 4 in modem mode after upgrading to the 1 gig service from a stable 500 connection

I tried all sorts to get a hub 5, but they are not even willing to loan one to see it it cures the issue. On my engineer visit the guy told me they have plenty in the local stores, but not allowed to dish out unless you speak to the right person. That person has obviously left the building?

I was on the verge of starting the process of cancelling and going back to BT, but one last try I thought.

I cured my problem myself. Although my router was connected with a cat 7 flat cable, I bought an Enterprise quality thick shielded cat 7IMG_5971.jpg job.

It ain't pretty, but had a solid connection at 945 ever since

@johndm now you say 'not too pretty' but actually it does look much better than quite a few semi-professional installations I have seen1 A couple of things though, cat 7 is a bit off an odd one in as much as it isn't properly recognised as an 'international standard', I believe it was down to a couple of manufacturers 'jumping the gun' - cat 6 and 8 are standards.

Secondly, flat cable, although convenient, lacks the pair twists and shielding which are really necessary for high speeds - especially where they run close to power cables.

Ultimately though - if it works, then it works and best leave best alone!

Sorry my bad, old flat cable was cat 7, new ones cat 8 👍