cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

309Mbps average on M600

ewhitey
Superfast

As above - We're on M600 and after 263 Ookla Speedtests, we have an average of 309Mbps.

I've done everything I know how to including trying new ethernet cables and going from Cat 6 to Cat 7 with no change. Also noted that I had the Super Hub3 in modem mode with three DECOs and had the same numbers but no virtually no wifi issues but now system is monitored we're back to router mode and now even the wifi is dropping with the Deco connections! I also play COD Warzone and the ping for that is an average of 80 maybe but sometimes ranges from 60 to around 140. My PC is also running slow and it's like going back to the eighties when downloading a webpage. I've tried both Cat 6 and 7 direct from Router to PC and Router to PS4Pro and both have similar results in the speed tests.

This has been going on for at least 3 weeks now and I finally called VM about 5 days ago. After the usual plugs, checks, unplugs and reboots, they said they couldn't see an issue and would monitor for 7 days. I've been running a BQM since, as I'm not sure if VM are actually doing anything...Can anyone help?

My BQM as it is presently... 

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/a971f5e467c3fefa6d4a35ca0e78a34accd4a3e4

43 REPLIES 43

So I thought i'd give yall an update.

As per instructions, I disconnected my Deco/mesh system and now using the Hub3 in Router/Wifi mode. My Decos are connected but in AP Mode only and having spoken to VM about this (in respect of my 30 monitor), they said that would be fine. Signal strength is basically the same with my connection averaging around 200 DL on Thinkbroadband and around 300 DL on Speedtest.net. My Wifi has been generally OK as it has been.

I had a call from VM today regards my complaint and was asked all the usual questions but thankfully not asked to unplug, reboot etc

The polite fellow advised I had 17 devices connected by Ethernet and 6 via WIFi - He also advised this was exceeding the capability of the router, using too much bandwith and therefore reducing the signal.

I advised I only had 6 ethernet connections and anything else was Wifi - My ethernet connections are two V6 boxes, My PC, two PS4's and the initial Deco.

I accessed the Hub3 settings (as requested) and saw what he was talking about.

Most of our wifi connections e.g. phones, tablets, lightbulb, Alexas etc were originally on the DECO network and remained so after changing to Hub3 Router/Deco AP mode. The strange thing was that whilst on hold for almost twenty minutes, I did some troubleshooting and found that anything connected to the Decos showed as ethernet connected but when these gadgets eg phone, tablet, lightbulb etc were told to use the Virgin Wifi they showed up as wifi and not ethernet in the router hub page.

I then ran new speed tests - no change - then completely disconnected the Decos using only the Hub3 for ethernet and Wifi. I retested the speeds and again no change, so having the Decos in play makes no difference whatsoever.  My router hub in reality has only 6 ethernet attached devices and a maximum of 16 using wifi. Obviously not all of these devices are always on at the same time and my signal strength is strangely consistent allbeit slow (there have been a few really low results but these aren't what i'd say regular.

Right now I'm on the PC, watchIng TV on V6, the little one is on the PS4 and various phones, a lightbulb and a few other bits are connected too. Presently, the router hub page shows I have 21 devices connected - The real result (minus Decos) is 6 on ethernet and 15 wifi. Most of the wifi connected gadgets are presently doing nothing although they are being detected by the system.

I personally haven't heard (or been told) anything about a limit on the number of devices you can connect but I would value your opinions. Also to reconfirm, with the Decos completely disconnected from the network the speeds remained just as bad and Speedtest.net is showing a ping of 22, DL 323 and UL 42.

I did find this after some forum trawling: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/How-many-connected-devices-are-allowed-on-H...   "There is no physical limit on the number of devices that can be added / connected to the hub although there is a limit on the number of IP addresses that can issued and that would be 250+    When you try and connect another device what error message are you getting when trying to connect to the hub."

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality/share/921867394e5f57e0cd7d09ae3d46bfe81a2b8c97-14-08-2021

Is this normal?

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Something happened around 10am - is there anything in the logs for that time?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi...What's the red bit and sorry, how do i check the logs?

I've also noticed the Hub3 is showing my dads iphone as connected to Ethernet...clearly iphones dont connect to ethernet and in any case my dads iphone is presently 3 miles away!!!???? 

Is this what you need?

14/08/2021 15:57:1criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
14/08/2021 14:36:33noticeLAN login Success;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
13/08/2021 10:09:25ErrorDHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;
10/08/2021 12:44:18criticalNo Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CMTS-MAC=**:**:**:**:**:**;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.0;

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
This thread is dragging on now. Are you collecting speed data with a view to leaving the contract without penalty?

Red line usually mean a disconnection - its a period of time when the Hub doesnt respond to pings - nothing showing in the logs for ~10am though.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Dragging on?

I'm not collecting data at all - I was hoping we/the forum, could maybe troubleshoot the issue and when i see something odd i was updating the thread - I thought that would be ok? Is it not a problem that I have red lines/disconnects in my BQM's when i'm being told by VM that all's well and is it normal to have disconnected devices coming up as connected to the router when they're not... I thought this was helpful info? 

I've been paying £153 p/month for a package that others are paying far less for - that annoys me. The thing is, If i was getting my M600 instead of 300 I probably wouldn't bother but hey that's just me. I came to this forum for help because I lost confidence in CS. I was told my 30 day monitor was started on one of my CS calls. I called about a week later and asked if they had found anything - I was advised the monitoring hadn't been started! Also, whilst troubleshooting, I was asked to unplug the Galaxy S8 from the ethernet cable and put it on wifi. What got me was that after advising CS the S8 was a mobile phone, they reiterated the request, insisting I unplug the ethernet cable - Are you kidding me?!!!

As far as leaving etc - I've been with VM for over twenty years and no longer in contract. Also as stated previously, I'd rather not leave but looking like I'll have to as the service over the past year has just got worse and worse - We'll see what the 30 day monitor turns up! 

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @ewhitey

Are you able to run a speed test via a Cat 6 Ethernet cable, and with the hub in modem mode?

This will tell us what speed we have going into your property. If this reads as the subscribed speed (or slightly above) this will advise us this is an issue with the Wi-Fi facility, or the set up of your home when connecting to Wi-Fi.

If this is below the subscribed speed, this may be an issue outside the property that needs to be rectified

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi and thanks for your support.

I can certainly try that for you, the only thing is that the 30 day VM monitor for OFCOM has a week to run - Would changing the set up affect this? 

Hi.

Hope this helps 😉

Results as follows (Cat 6/7 cables brand new): 

CAT 5e
thinkbroadband.com
17-08-2021 15:27:10 (GMT) Download 200.5 Mbps Upload 42.9 Mbps
speedtest.samknows.com
Latency 20.9 ms Jitter 2.90 ms Download 288 Mbps Upload 42.9 Mbps
testmy.net
Download 229.2 Mbps
Ookla Speedtest
Ping 22ms Download 308.93 Mbps Upload 42.56 Mbps

CAT 6
thinkbroadband.com
17-08-2021 15:37:07 (GMT) Download 229.4 Mbps Upload 36.6 Mbps
speedtest.samknows.com
Latency 19.8 ms Jitter 1.80 ms Download 283 Mbps Upload 42.7 Mbps
testmy.net
Download 203.1 Mbps
Ookla Speedtest
Ping 22ms Download 311.92 Mbps Upload 42.59 Mbps

CAT 7
thinkbroadband.com
17-08-2021 15:45:55 (GMT) Download 210.5 Mbps Upload 36.4 Mbps
speedtest.samknows.com
Latency 21.7 ms Jitter 3.70 ms Download 272 Mbps Upload 42.5 Mbps
testmy.net
Download 215.6 Mbps
Ookla Speedtest
Ping 22ms Download 313.93 Mbps Upload 42.59 Mbps

Hi

Weird - I've put the Hub3 back into router mode and now ethernet port (1) doesn't work - I did the "loop" test and the other three ports are fine - No output from (1)? Powered down, disconnected then booted up and now working (In case it's relevant).

PS: To mods - Why is there a time limit on editing your posts - It would be great if we could just update an existing post to reduce thread size?