cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

23-27mbps when paying for 100mbps

sez1
Tuning in

Hi

I have a rental house with 4 tenants, had Virgin 3 years ago and had no issue, only left due to the price going up. Returned as a customer in June, have 100mbps package but the speed has been getting worse since installed and currently the tenants are only getting between 23-27mbps.

I have phoned several times, the box has been rebooted and reset several times, each time it gets worse. Virgin's solution is that I pay more and upgrade to 350mbps package which I obviously do not want to do. The previous provider was Utility Warehouse, on 80mbps and went through the openreach cabinet instead of fibre to the property so i am baffled as to what is wrong. Virgin are not being helpful so have had to raise a complaint to see if they will send out a technician to rectify the issue. I don't remember seeing anything on their website with regards to how many devices can be connected successfully for each package. How can it work 3 years ago and not now? Anyone else have this issue and if yes what was the solution? I am keen to get this sorted for my tenants, purchased a booster but it hasn't helped, i guess if the speed isn't getting in the house it has nothing to send on. 

Please help I am desperate!!

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
What speed do you get by wire?

---------------------------------------------------------------

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @sez1,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I am very sorry to hear that you're having some connection speed issues lately. As with all wireless connections, there's a few factors that can impact it within the environment which is beyond our control. Are you able to test a wired connection and see what speeds you get there?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

I went to the house on Friday and ran a wired test and got 78mbps, i also ran a wireless speed test using my phone from various areas in the house, one being the bedroom of the tenant who has said he is having issues, i was getting speeds of 78-80mbps - which i am happy with. I phoned virgin whilst at the house and got them to test the line and it all passed with no issue. I was unaware that the speeds advertised, but more importantly the minimum guaranteed speeds only relate to wired only. I have purchased a booster which unfortunately, he said didn't make a difference and will be raising the router to halfway up the wall. Other than that i don't know what I can do to help when it does drop to 23mbps and it is confusing as to why it drops so low, but I am pleased that when i tested it, it was 78mbps as I have proved it is working. Is it just down to too many devices?? I never have issues at home and i am on the same package. Oh I have also suggested to him that using NetGear might help as he has a gaming computer in his room so assume he will need a good speed to play? Has anyone else experienced the same issue, what was the cause for it and what was the solution?? I don't want to up the speed if its not about the speed coming into the house but more about how the wifi is dispersed around the house? Any help is welcomed

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It sounds like the network connection is all ok and the issue relates primarily with the wifi - is that your conclusion?

Re "speeds" for gaming, thats not really the issue as... IIRC... it only needs <5mbps for a good connection (its the latency that plagues gamers - so my lad tells me!). What does suck up bandwith is 4K video streaming - that can need ~25mbps - so if all 4 are doing that simultaneously (along with the other stuff) then more bandwith would be needed. Ask the 4 tenants individualy what their average uses of the internet connection are - 4K /1K streaming, large downloads, Online TV, browsing, gaming, etc - and on how many devices simultaneously. Then you can gauge whether 200/500 might be more appropriate - or that 100 is more than enough bandwidth.

You have tried to help with booster but TBH thats not the best solution. For gaming my lad always uses an ethernet cable connection via a pair of good quality powerline adapters (NEVER wifi) - his connection is rock solid. That might be a solution - you could run 4 powerlines - one in in each part of the property (others can comment). And they can also have inbuilt wifi - as well as 1 or 2 ethernet ports for gaming connections.  Or it might be more economic to install a couple of wireless access points to distribute a strong signal across the property - or get a Mesh wireless system.

What size is the property and what is it constructed from - e.g. modern build? foot thick stone walls ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks for your insight, I really am finding it hard to understand how the previous broadband provider package was 80mbps on the phone line worked perfectly fine and Virgin on fibre and 100mbps is having so many issues.....currently I am getting daily if not hourly updates from the tenant and it is stressing me out!!

It is a Victorian end terrace property, which i completely stripped back and started again so all new electrics.

I have suggested that he tries NetGear plugs which he can hardwire into the router one end and his computer to the other plug upstairs, this works for my brother when he is gaming - is this what you mean by power adapters?  I don't want to have to install cables to each individual room as this will look unsightly also cost me money to do so, especially knowing that the previous provider had no issue with sending the wifi to each room. What do you mean by wireless access points? Is this a plug in system? Sorry, this is all still new to me so you will need to spell it out to me please.

Thank you in advance

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@sez1 wrote:

I really am finding it hard to understand how the previous broadband provider package was 80mbps on the phone line worked perfectly fine and Virgin on fibre and 100mbps is having so many issues.....

Because VM cheap out on the equipment knowing that you will put the hub in modem mode and get a better wireless router.   

The only reason router mode exists is to stop catch 22 people who don't have a PC/laptop to wire to the hub but may have a phone by wifi in order to then order a router. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes I mean powerline adapters

a wireless access point needs connecting  to the Hub by ethernet cable - that could be from a powerline adapter port - if it doesnt have inbuilt wifi

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Hi Just an update....

Just received a phone call from the tenant who had been on the phone to Virgin, it turns out that apparently the chap at Virgin made available 5G to everyone in the house and they have all got good speeds! Phew! Hope I am not counting my chickens and all that...but that was a very welcome tenant phone call!!  I did think however that all routers were set with 2G & 5G availability? 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Yes they broadcast both 2.4 and 5ghz, but by default use a single SSID. The agent most likely split the SSID into two separate SSID’s so they could choose which band to use. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks