cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

200mb upgrade but only getting 35-50mb

haworthwhite
Tuning in
I recently got the upgrade to the 200mb broadband speeds (I was previously on 50mb)

Since the upgrade I am not receiving any increased speed. Download between 35-50mb and upload less than 3mb

Have reset the router but no change, whilst diagnostics says everything is OK.

Any help would be appreciated
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you using a wired or wireless connection?

You could check that your super hub has picked up the new 200Mbs config. If you go to http://192.168.100.1/ to get the super hub GUI. Don't login but instead click on the Router Status button in the top right of the screen. On the next screen click on Operation Configuration then look for Primary Downstream Service Flow. Under that heading the value for Max Traffic Rate should be 220000000 bps if your hub is correctly configured for 200Mbs.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong 🙂 If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

OK, that means that your super hub is still configured for only 50Mbps.  If I was to guess I'd say that your upgrade is still to be activated by VM or something went wrong and the activation failed.  When you login to your "My Virgin Media" page, does it say that your package is "Vivid 200 Optical fibre"?

You can try calling VM to confirm the speed boost on your account has been processed, or wait for somebody from the VM forum team to pick this up here in a few days time.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong 🙂 If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Samantha_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi haworthwhite

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to see that the Super Hub has not locked onto the correct broadband speed.

When checking your account, I can see it has been upgraded to 200 Mbps, however you have one of our older Super Hub models. To resolve this issue I would like to send you a new router that will be compatible for the new speeds. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please. Once you have replied I can go ahead with the order.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

32 REPLIES 32

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you using a wired or wireless connection?

You could check that your super hub has picked up the new 200Mbs config. If you go to http://192.168.100.1/ to get the super hub GUI. Don't login but instead click on the Router Status button in the top right of the screen. On the next screen click on Operation Configuration then look for Primary Downstream Service Flow. Under that heading the value for Max Traffic Rate should be 220000000 bps if your hub is correctly configured for 200Mbs.

Wireless connection.

Shows 57344000 bps as Max Traffic rate and 10000 bytes as Max Traffic burst

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

OK, that means that your super hub is still configured for only 50Mbps.  If I was to guess I'd say that your upgrade is still to be activated by VM or something went wrong and the activation failed.  When you login to your "My Virgin Media" page, does it say that your package is "Vivid 200 Optical fibre"?

You can try calling VM to confirm the speed boost on your account has been processed, or wait for somebody from the VM forum team to pick this up here in a few days time.

It does - main message shows as "Your Speed Boost is Complete" and the Vivid 200 Optical Fibre is shown on my broadband package.

Thanks very much for your help. I will wait for VM Forum team to pick up hopefully in next few days.

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Probably a good idea, the forum team are are far more knowledgeable than phone support and more reliable Smiley Happy

For future reference, when you do get the router configured correctly it is best to test speeds on a wired connection. Wireless is easily disrupted by a number of external factors, so a wired test is the only way to get a true picture of what speed your line is able to achieve.  Also there are currently only a few wireless devices that can achieve speeds of 200Mbps.

Samantha_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi haworthwhite

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

Sorry to see that the Super Hub has not locked onto the correct broadband speed.

When checking your account, I can see it has been upgraded to 200 Mbps, however you have one of our older Super Hub models. To resolve this issue I would like to send you a new router that will be compatible for the new speeds. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, right corner) with some details for you to confirm please. Once you have replied I can go ahead with the order.

Hope to hear from you soon

Sam

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Glad to hear it is getting sorted.  I never thought to ask about the hub.  I was under the impression that this was checked automatically during the upgrade process and if a new hub was required it was sent out.

Mine says 23 and all the noughts but I still don't get 200mbs!

Having the exact same issue and when I check my account it says we have upgraded to 200 Mbps but the connection seems worse,  Have already restarted our device and still no change.

Any help is appreciated