Menu
Highlighted
bobstalobsta
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

200MB - try 17mb/s

Hi all

I've been looking through the forums and it appears that I'm not the only one with speed issues. I double checked my VM account and I should be getting 200mb/s as part of the package. I would have expected at least somewhere in the region of 100Mbps but I'm getting some really poor speeds. I've been getting around 17mbs (couldn't post the pic as it appears these forums don't permit you to post anything). I rebooted the VM 3 router and laptop multiple times. I even tried another device and the speeds are relatively the same. I went as far to ensure that nothing else was connected to the router and did a so called factory reset - no change. I ran the VM status checker and it reported no problems. Well, something is clearly wrong if I'm getting these kind of speeds. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Bobstalobsta

DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: 200MB - try 17mb/s

The forums do allow the posting of pictures, they do require manual approval by a moderator before anyone else can see them (other than superusers) though.

Which website or service are you using to test the speed, on which type of device, and is it via wired or wireless?
0 Kudos
bobstalobsta
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi DreamOfCheese - I'm using a wired connection and used VM's recommended speed test web site https://www.speedtest.net/. I'm using a laptop connected to the router using a class 5E ethernet cable. I've tried a desktop computer with a gigabit NIC card and I'm getting roughly the same speeds. 

0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

In that case it might be a good idea to post your downstream, upstream, and network logs from the Hubs status page, you can get there by going to http://192.168.0.1 and clicking "Check router status" below the login form, just make sure to obfuscate/redact any visible MAC addresses or instances of your public IP address in the network log.
0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

17MB/sec or 17Mbps? the former is acceptable - the latter is not.
0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The OP used speedtest.net, which answers your question. 

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@jpeg1 wrote:

The OP used speedtest.net, which answers your question. 

Does it? In what way? Am I missing a secretly invisible speedtest.net link showing the speed? if so please point it out!

The OP has only made reference to 17mbs - so did they miss a p out? or is the MB not in the right case? 

Please do show me where I am wrong.. 

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The OP mentioned that he used speedtest.net 

They only use one form of units in their results. 

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well actually they use 2 - but I guess you haven't been to the settings tab - not now not ever never!?

Others are also reporting 17mbs - such as a thread a few up from this - seems to be a trend anyhow

ah, and I see since my post the OP has changed their title to "17mb/s" where as if you look at the archive they had 17mbs so that's where the confusion came from as you can see from my original response/question

0 Kudos