Menu
jsproule899
Tuning in
Message 11 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: 200 mbps over wifi only 100mbps on gigabit ethernet

Super hub 3

tested speeds with only this device connected and yes it is connected directly, tried all ports on the hub, tried disabling windows firewall and Avast antivirus. 

nothing has changed about my configuration from when I was getting the 160 Mbps speeds prior to the free 200 Mbps upgrade

thanks for your suggestions

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ToffeeSurprise
Dialled in
Message 12 of 19
Flag for a moderator

On the Hub 3 under connected devices, does it also list your machine as 1Gbps (something is very wrong if it doesn't but best to cover all the bases)?

Under your network adapter, is it set to autonegotiate or is (for some bizarre reason) manually set to 1Gbps? Right click on the adapter, go to properties, then configure, and then go to the advanced tab. Then scroll down to the Speed & Duplex setting, which should be set to auto.

Is there any way to add a USB Ethernet port to your laptop to see if that resolves the problem?

I have a strong suspicion that your machine is in some way rate limiting the traffic because nothing else seems to make much sense.

Are you doing anything intensive on your machine? What's the CPU usage like? If you go to Resource Monitor in Windows and then go to the network tab, is anything else using bandwidth / generating traffic?

0 Kudos
jsproule899
Tuning in
Message 13 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

..in hub3 connected devices it is showing a 1000Mbps connection

the network adapter is set to auto-negotiate

CPU usage is around 12% and nothing else is taking up bandwidth

I just ordered a USB 3.0-gigabit ethernet adapter for the laptop on amazon prime to test whether or not it is the computer limiting the connection

EDIT: Problem Solved, looks like it was 'System Mechanic' its auto-optimization of network settings must have been limiting it as you said... I would have thought of this soon but since it's been installed on my computer( as well as the laptop) for over a year now without affecting the speed ( was getting 160Mbps on 150Mbps package) I didn't suspect it.

hope this helps anyone else having this issue... thanks again for all the sugestions

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 14 of 19
Flag for a moderator

the joys of auto updates.

You say nothing has changed but that is never true. Nothing you have changed has changed. But automatic updates or software deciding things for you can and will always change things.

Even starting up your pc changes things Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Yago
Tuning in
Message 15 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi!!! I'm having the same sort of problem.

But what did you do eventually? I can't get from you answer what did you do that fixed that internet speed cap.

0 Kudos
jsproule899
Tuning in
Message 16 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I had a program installed call 'system mechanic' which was causing my cap by messing with the settings of the ethernet adapter... To fix the problem I simply had to comepletely uninstall the ''system mechanic " program.

Hope this helps

Josh

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 17 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for updating the thread, Josh,

Great to hear that this has since been sorted for you!

Let us know if we can assist with anything further,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 18 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing some trouble with your connection Yago,

I've located your details and everything appears to be within range from this end.

What type of connection are you having trouble with? Hardwired/wireless?

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
Yago
Tuning in
Message 19 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I was having problems with wired connection, not getting speed beyond 90 mbps with a 30 meters long cable. I got help from another post in the forum, and someone said that the problem is the hub 3.0 not liking long cables, and indeed that was the problem  I took my computer next to the hub and connected with a short cat5 cable, and problem solved. 

I'm waiting for a switch I ordered, to connect hub 3.0 into it, and then the switch into my computer and see if that helps.

0 Kudos