cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

200 mbps but only getting 90mbsp

JoshuaLeBrun
Joining in

Yesterday we upgraded to the 200mbsp and we were told that it would be in effect as of the following day. I did a speed test but I am receiving the same download speed as I was before.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Well the good news your internet setup for M200. Good day should get 210+

Some PC/Laptop are restricted to 100 LAN connection. Few occasion people using cable limited to 100 was blamed 🙂

You need to check that speed by double click on the LAN icon bottom right corner of the screen.

----------------------------------------------------------
M125 Volt powered by TP-Link Archer AX55

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
if that is a wired connection its the speed you would expect to see if your PC or some network gear is only 10/100 and not gigabit

Yes the connection is wired. I was told though that the connection should be between 170 to 230. The connection speed has not changed though even with the upgrade.

Anonymous
Not applicable
that speed is your computer network device? whjat speed does the hub status say the computer is connecting at?

JoshuaLeBrun_0-1613230286579.png

Well the good news your internet setup for M200. Good day should get 210+

Some PC/Laptop are restricted to 100 LAN connection. Few occasion people using cable limited to 100 was blamed 🙂

You need to check that speed by double click on the LAN icon bottom right corner of the screen.

----------------------------------------------------------
M125 Volt powered by TP-Link Archer AX55

I have ordered a CAT 8 ethernet as I was using a CAT 5 which might have been the issue.

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@JoshuaLeBrun wrote:

I have ordered a CAT 8 ethernet as I was using a CAT 5 which might have been the issue.

Cat 5 is capable of speeds in excess of 100Mbps so unless it was faulty the spec of the cable is unlikely to be the issue.  Cat 8 is overkill and IMHO a waste of money right now, Cat 6 or 7 would have been adequate and cheaper.  Although you haven't confirmed that your device has a Gigabit (10/100/1000) Ethernet port, if it is not Gigabit then the spec of the cable is irrelevant as the NIC would be the bottleneck.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you, You are probably right on overkill but the price was not really much anyway for it. My motherboard ethernet port allows for Gigabit I beleave but I guess I will find out tomorow. Thank you for the help though.

Anonymous
Not applicable
cat8 cable is not cheap. If you got one at the same price as a cat6 i'd be questioning the quality