cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.4ghz Slow

amoVM
On our wavelength

Hi,

I had a new 500mb install today with 2.4ghz and 5ghz split.

The 5 is fine around 400mbps but the 2.4 is slow, not achieving more that 80mbps

This was with a hub4 the engineers tried a hub5 with similar results. Tests were taken with only one device on the 2.4 next to the router.

He said he would get back to me.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

carl_pearce
Community elder

@amoVM wrote:

Hi,

The 5 is fine around 400mbps but the 2.4 is slow, not achieving more that 80mbps

This was with a hub4 the engineers tried a hub5 with similar results. Tests were taken with only one device on the 2.4 next to the router.

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Sounds about right for 2.4Ghz, good even!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

carl_pearce
Community elder

@amoVM wrote:

Hi,

Any ideas please?

Thanks

Sounds about right for 2.4Ghz, good even!

amoVM
On our wavelength

Really that is weird, why wont it get up to full speed.

I would like to know what others can achieve on 2.4ghz.

I was on TT and regularly got 70ghz on a 80ghz package.

Thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
See this
For example, my Macbook Air and iPhone7 both get 220mbps on my Vivid200 wifi connection (and 220 on ethernet of course). However, on wifi, they only get that when I put them onto the 5GHz network. Sat in the same spot if I then flick them over to the 2.4GHz network, they max out at 50-60mbps (others on here get even lower [<50] on their set ups) - it's just the limitations of the wifi technology!

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

amoVM
On our wavelength

Hi,

It says here it can achieve up to 600mbps

What's the Difference Between 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi? (socialwifi.com)

Strange .............

@amoVM wrote:

Hi,

It says here it can achieve up to 600mbps

What's the Difference Between 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi? (socialwifi.com)

Strange .............

Does the HUB support it...no (Supports UPTO 3x3 so 450Mbps).

https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/virgin-gig1-fibre-review

Does your device support it... probably not.

https://www.digitalairwireless.com/articles/blog/the-maths-behind-4-stream-2-4ghz-data-rates-explain...

The router and the device must support four simultaneous streams, which most will NOT support, for UPTO 600Mbps on 2.4Ghz.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It all depends if it 1x1 2x2 4x4 mimo, if supported. Most phones iPads are 2x2. Also bandwidth on VM hub is 20 Mbs, you can go to 40 Mbs on other routers, but you just end up with interference. Try these ‘real world’ figures:

Maximum speed comparison

2.4 GHz Theoretical Speed Real-World Speed
802.11b
11 Mbps2-3 Mbps
802.11g
54 Mbps 10-29 Mbps
802.11n
300 Mpbs150 Mbps

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2