cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1gig quite slow

fingazblank
Tuning in

I have had 1 gb virgin installed for the last few weeks and although the speed is much better than the 70mb speeds I was getting from bt which was averaging at around 8mbs when download games from steam and anywhere else but with virgin I have seen as much as 65 mbs which is great but not really the speeds I should be getting. I used the samknows speed test thing and the one by Ookla but I have never seen the speed go over 500mb... I am using a cat8 cable and a virgin hub

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

They seem to have capacity issues. I put a post on here and several people didn't read it either. Then you will be asked to do some scripted stuff, I wouldn't bother - you probably just won't get full speed until they sort whatever issues are their end. I was told that I needed to not be in modem mode, which made no sense!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

carl_pearce
Community elder

@fingazblank wrote:

I have had 1 gb virgin installed for the last few weeks and although the speed is much better than the 70mb speeds I was getting from bt which was averaging at around 8mbs when download games from steam and anywhere else but with virgin I have seen as much as 65 mbs which is great but not really the speeds I should be getting. I used the samknows speed test thing and the one by Ookla but I have never seen the speed go over 500mb... I am using a cat8 cable and a virgin hub

Have you used this site?

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

Yes, I used Sam knows...I did say I did in the original post

Samknows has multiple speed test links and even app for mobile phones.

For a Hub(3/4/5) in Router mode it would help the see the Virgin specific test results from https://www.samknows.com/realspeed/
Expect the speed to the Hub to match the subscription rate.

To exceed 500Mb/s on a speed test it is up to the computer to consume data at a higher rate over a network cable.
Boot the computer in Safe Mode + Networking, if the speed test posts a much faster result software bloat is the issue.

Steam is throttling the download rate.
Given your speed tests this is not a Virgin Media or computer issue.

They seem to have capacity issues. I put a post on here and several people didn't read it either. Then you will be asked to do some scripted stuff, I wouldn't bother - you probably just won't get full speed until they sort whatever issues are their end. I was told that I needed to not be in modem mode, which made no sense!

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

"I was told that I needed to not be in modem mode" you only need to be not in modem mode for a VM staff member to ‘interrogate’ your hub to look at stats and speed, because in modem mode they cannot access the hub.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Ok that's pretty understandable, steam is probably not the best basis for my problem, but I have a few friends that have virgin and do report much better speeds than I do. If I use the star citizen launcher I was amazed to see excess of 65mbs when downloading the latest test phase. 

I have a relatively new pc, am4 motherboard 5800x CPU and all the goodies to run games. 

I have done a couple of tests on the Sam knows website, even using the mobile test.

I have to say, when the virgin was installed on that day I was getting really good download speed, over 700 info by Ookla... But the Sam knows tests always been very crappy...

I did a thing on the virgin website, it stated that I need a repair technician to pop out to me and fix my service so I will wait now..

I will check out what speeds I can get in safe mode and look at doing some general tidying of my pc. 

Thanks, for all your efforts I'll post a screenshot of my tests that I will do do when I get home from work

I believe Steam download speeds are in Megabytes a second, where Ookla is in Megabits a second. There is a big difference between the two.

65 megabytes a second is around 520 megabits a second.  I seem to get anywhere between 65 and 85 on steam.

Hi fingazblank, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums.

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues with the service and this is not the experience which we want you to have with us. 

Can you let us know how the engineer visit goes on the 28th and if you have any further issues? 

Kind regards, Chris. 

Apparently the engineer said there was a problem in the whole area, he said he changed some fittings, but before he did all that he tested my speed and wouldn't yer know it, it was fine. So it seems good now

Thanks to the people that answered