cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1gig internet max speeds 500 with wired connection

Brad3
Tuning in

As the title says I have the max broadband they do 1gig but even with a wired connection (cat 7 eithernet cable) I've seen it get to around 500 once. Normally around the 2-400 range and on WiFi never even gets more then 90. Any help? Tried everything modem mode ect I have done the official virgin speed test and it says the router is getting 1000 but I feel like that can't be true because I've never even seen anywhere near them sort of speeds. 

5 REPLIES 5

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Can we check you have a Hub 4 first?

If the speed check at RealSpeed - SamKnows is showing 1GB to the Hub, then VM are providing the speeds to your Hub.  So the issues may be on your kit.

As for wifi, 90Mb sounds like the device is not setup for 1GB connections, so again some investigation needed.  Note VM do not guarantee wifi speeds.

Any speed tests need to done with a wired connection direct to the Hub, so no PLA's or switches between the two devices.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Yes hub 4 and it wasn't on the Sam knows test I got the 1000 it was on the virgin router tester, it's definitely not the devices (new OnePlus mobiles Xbox series X and ps5) over wi-fi they get the max of 90 down and eithernet 2-400 max 

Also when trying the Sam knows test on my phone I got 60 down 40 up. 

Hi Brad3,

Thank you for reaching back out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to see you aren't getting your expected speeds, what was showing when you did the test Via  RealSpeed - SamKnows not the standard Sam Knows?

It will show what is hitting the Router before it shows what is hitting the device.

Regards

Paul.

Yeah so showing 1174 to the hub 4 and 204 to my phone although when I actually try downloading something max I get is around 90mbps on mobile and again 2-400 on my xbox series X using a ethernet cable. 

I mean if I knew the max my devices could download at, is hardware dependent this should be more clear really. I still think the speeds I'm getting on Xbox are far too slow yes it is quick but less then half the speeds I expected using a eithernet cable. 

Any advice would be helpful as I feel like I may as well downgrade to a lesser package if I'm unable to utilize it. 

Cheers, Brad. 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As previously mentioned, you are getting the 1GB speeds to the Hub, so VM have provided the contracted speeds.  They do not guarantee wifi speeds btw.

So, you will have to do some investigations are to why your IT kit is not performing. 

If it's wired, are the cables direct to the Hub?  Are the wifi devices using the faster 5Ghz band?  Have you done a wifi survey of your property to see if there is interference?

You could try a full factory reset on the Hub as below;

Try a 60 second pinhole reset as below;
Remove any ethernet cables from the Hub and hold the pinhole reset switch for 60 seconds. Do NOT reboot the Hub, just let it do it's thing. Note you will need the passwords from the bottom of the Hub afterwards, so make sure they are legible.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks