cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1gb upgrade not as expected, i.e. slow

corky123
Dialled in

Hi there,

Yesterday I got my hub 4 and 1gb broadband upgrade, coming from 350mb.

I put it straight into modem mode and ran various speed tests from my server and was disappointed to see I was only getting 500 - 600mb download speed.

my server is connected to a wired gigabyte network, I moved the server next to the hub 4, so server- -my router- - hub 4. I got the same speeds as above, so this ruled out my internal network.

I then put the hub 4 back into router mode and got the same results again.

I then went to the Sam Knows Real speed test web site while connected direct to the hub 4 and the internal speed was more like what I should expect from my server on my network.

I was getting around 936mb download.

So my question is why the massive drop in speed when coming straight out of the hub 4 ?

In testing there is only one small cat 5e cable between the hub 4 and my router, and one more cable to the server.

thanks.

24 REPLIES 24

Your downstream power levels need adjustment - I've marked that for staff to take a look and advise, it'll probably need a technician visit, and they'll arrange that if needed.

Thanks very much for the quick response, I look forward to an update soon hopefully.

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @corky123,

Welcome to the forums and many thanks for your recent posts. I'm really sorry to hear of the issues you've been having with your upgrade.

Your downstream levels are indeed out of spec at the moment, so I'd like to book an engineer visit for you to get this fixed.

I'll just confirm a couple of details with you so I can get this booked in, so please keep an eye on the purple envelope at the top of the page.

Many thanks,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Molly_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey @corky123,

Thanks for getting back to me. The appointment is all booked in for you and you can check this via the online My VM Account.

The date/time can also be changed there too if needed.

Please keep us posted on how the visit goes.

Kind regards,

Molly_G
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Will do thanks vey much.

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

No worries at all 🙂 

Any further issues, just pop another post on this thread and we'll happily assist.

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

Hi there,

Just an update for today.

I had a very nice guy came out today to look at my low download speed issue, from outside he removed an old splitter that was not in use any more, fitted two new F connectors and fitted a 6db attenuator at the hub 4, so I can now get 940mb coming out of the hub 4 with a direct connection to the pc, the speed is the same in both modem and router mode.

But as soon as I connect the hub 4 back to my own router and connect the pc to my router as well it goes back to the slower speed of around 500mb - 550 mb ?

As a test I also connected a 1gb network switch in between the hub 4 and the pc and I still get the faster speed of around 900mb.

any ideas why I would get such a drop in speed once my own router is connected back, is it possible that as it’s fairly old it cannot handle the 1gb speed and has become the bottleneck, it’s a Netgear R7000.

Thanks.

Could be!

Is there any QoS running on your own router?

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

Hi,

In the QOS section Wi-Fi multimedia WMM are selected for both 2.5Ghz and 5Ghz bands.

that’s about it.

thanks

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

a reset of your router will do no harm - it might not do any good but worth a try

Tony.
Sacked VIP