cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1gb upgrade disappointing

Stridey
Tuning in

Hi,

I have today upgraded from 600mb to 1gb broadband. 

My desktop pc with a 1gb network card used to nearly always reach the top end of the 600mb speed range. 

Since the upgrade the speed has actually got worse and is now bouncing around 500mb. 

Upon calling tech support I was read a statement regarding regarding the 1gb minimum speed guarantee. So I have basically gone from a 600 package where I nearly always achieved top speeds to a 1gb package where it bounces around the bottom range. 

A really poor offering from Virgin Media and surely false advertising. Not sure anyone could call this an upgrade. 

Any help would be really appreciated. 

9 REPLIES 9

carl_pearce
Community elder

@Stridey wrote:

Hi,

I have today upgraded from 600mb to 1gb broadband. 

My desktop pc with a 1gb network card used to nearly always reach the top end of the 600mb speed range. 

Since the upgrade the speed has actually got worse and is now bouncing around 500mb. 

Upon calling tech support I was read a statement regarding regarding the 1gb minimum speed guarantee. So I have basically gone from a 600 package where I nearly always achieved top speeds to a 1gb package where it bounces around the bottom range. 

A really poor offering from Virgin Media and surely false advertising. Not sure anyone could call this an upgrade. 

Any help would be really appreciated. 

What does this site show?

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

Between 450 and 550. 

@Stridey wrote:

Between 450 and 550. 

Both sides of the site?

The left side is the speed to the HUB over the VM network, the right is the speed to your device.

1146 left and 464 right. 

@carl_pearce wrote:

@Stridey wrote:

Between 450 and 550. 

Both sides of the site?

The left side is the speed to the HUB over the VM network, the right is the speed to your device.

Assuming of course, that we absolutely trust the values being reported by the SamKnows agent implementation on the VM hubs?

I mean how can we test it? Do we simply believe what it is saying without question? The VM hubs use a closed source firmware so If it was badly coded or implemented, how could we tell?

Just saying........

@Stridey wrote:

1146 left and 464 right. 

And this site?

https://proof.ovh.net/

@jem101 wrote:

@carl_pearce wrote:

@Stridey wrote:

Between 450 and 550. 

Both sides of the site?

Assuming of course, that we absolutely trust the values being reported by the SamKnows agent implementation on the VM hubs?

I mean how can we test it? Do we simply believe what it is saying without question? The VM hubs use a closed source firmware so If it was badly coded or implemented, how could we tell?

Just saying........

I use it as an indication of a problem over the VM network.

562 peak and 534 average. 

@carl_pearce wrote:

@jem101 wrote:

@carl_pearce wrote:

@Stridey wrote:

Between 450 and 550. 

Both sides of the site?

Just saying........

I use it as an indication of a problem over the VM network.

Ok but why would you trust it as being an indication of anything? Unless you know exactly how and what it is doing and have a means of verifying it, then it is about as reliable as asking Mystic Meg to predict what speeds you are getting, no?