cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1gb upgrade and Wi-Fi mesh

paulovader01
Joining in

Have upgraded to the 1gb broadband but not getting anywhere near that on devices indoors.

Now understand a bit more about how it works (thanks to posts on here) but my question is if I upgrade my mesh network to a mesh 6 would that boast our speeds ?

I currently have a BT Whole Home (AC2600) and don’t want to waste more money if it’s not going to make it any better.

Cheers all.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stobbsy74
Superfast

I get about 850mbps with an Asus wifi6 mesh system and wifi6e gaming laptop.

As the previous posters have stated, the devices that you do large amounts of downloading on need to be wifi6 or better to benefit from it. If you don't have wifi 6 or better devices that you download large files to then not worth it.

For example, Xbox series x is wifi 5 so no benefit, Ps5 is wifi 6 so would benefit, both be better connected via ethernet.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Whats the point though?  What is there to gain from getting 800mb on your phone rather than 450mb? 

To benefit from mesh 6 your devices also have to be wifi 6 compatible, Id advise to just use your internet and don't get too bogged down with what speedtests say.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jb66 wrote:

Whats the point though?  What is there to gain from getting 800mb on your phone rather than 450mb? To benefit from mesh 6 your devices also have to be wifi 6 compatible, Id advise to just use your internet and don't get too bogged down with what speedtests say.

+1   Sage advice 🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

speed and power😁

---------------------------------------------------------------

Stobbsy74
Superfast

I get about 850mbps with an Asus wifi6 mesh system and wifi6e gaming laptop.

As the previous posters have stated, the devices that you do large amounts of downloading on need to be wifi6 or better to benefit from it. If you don't have wifi 6 or better devices that you download large files to then not worth it.

For example, Xbox series x is wifi 5 so no benefit, Ps5 is wifi 6 so would benefit, both be better connected via ethernet.

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi pailovader01,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear you're not getting close to the 1GB speeds on your devices. 

As already mentioned, in order to receive the higher speeds, the devices themselves need to be WiFi 6 compatible. If they are not then the speeds will top out at a lower speed than the 1GB. 

Running checks at this end, I can see the Hub is receiving the correct speed and is therefore pushing that out. If you connect a PC/Laptop to the hub directly via an ethernet cable, reboot the Hub and re-run the speed test, what speeds do you get? Please bear in mind the ethernet cable will need to be capable of running 1GB speeds and also the network card on your PC/Laptop also needs to be capable and set to the 1GB option. 

Let us know so we can investigate further if need be. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs