cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1gb slow

sku11meister
Fibre optic

Hi, I have the new superhub in modem mode, 1Gb package and the last few days its been around 400mbps? I have reset everything and checked my security gateway to make sure the settings are all correct, I contacted virgin and basically got flobbed off by saying wait 24 hrs and if its still slow call back AGAIN!! 

Anyone else having this issue? Ive check cables and nothings changed, just my speeds have slowed right down!

6 REPLIES 6

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
What router are you using? Has it got some QoS activated on it ?

Are the speeds low on both ethernet connections and wifi ?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

hi john,

Im using the unifi security gateway, have been for the last 3 years without issue. Its a wired connection to my main game rig and normally im sitting on around 900mbps mark. Last 3 days its been well under 500mbps but upload has stayed constant at 52mbps. 

Its the same in wifi as well, again im using unifio access points and i normally get about 600mbps on my phone in the garden or in the house from any of the 5 access points i have around the house and garden.,. normally works like a dream. 

I have checked the security gateway (router) and no, no qos is on or any of the security features which do throttle the bandwidth, that would be around 100mbps if those features were turned on as thats happened in the past/ (an update turned on the threat detection on the gateway and my speeds dropped to 100mbps) 

I have reset everything and checked the cables 

sorry to be clear , system goes  

superhub 5 to unifi security gateway, to hp procurve 24 managed switch where everything is hard wired to (aps and other switches around the house and server and 2 pcs

im getting the same speeds on wifi as i am wired from my iphone using speedtest.net

connect a PC by wire to the hub in modem mode to do a speed test your iphone does not count

For times like these having the MAC from your router on a PC (or other way round) for easy testing helps  

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the help mate, I tested and its sitting at around 400-500mbps down and 52up .. im guessing by the way the download is effected but upload isnt that its actually a virgin issue/fault

I have called them and they said there is a problem with intermittent signal in my area and I now have to wait 24 hours before they will let me book an engineer. 

Im thinking of quitting virgin now anyway, been with them years and had no issues, since ive upgraded to 1 gig its been a nightmare. they put the prices up on me and it was costing me nearly £140 a month which is ridiculous!

I had to reduce the tv package and the agent lied to me and siad i would have sky sports but not hd, then they cut off sky sports all together, so now i only have bt sports and no sky sports. I rang to challenge this because i want to watch the football and they said id have to pay £33 a month extra just for sky sports! 

now fibre is beig laid in our road im going to leave virgin and get fibre, can get a cheaper tv package off sky. virgin is just too expensive!

im paying for 1gig and getting 400 on average.. and the uploads only 52mbps .. fibre i can get 1 gig up and down if i wanted it!! 

shame really but virgin cant compete with those speeds and prices and tv packages