cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1gb hub 4

taycar1011
Joining in

I’ve had 1gb installed today with a hub4.  Haven’t clocked over 400 while stood next to the router yet and getting an average of 20-30 in upstairs bedroom.  Engineer said there was a known problem in the area, but the website says that’s not the case.  What’s the easiest way to speak to someone about this?  I don’t have a virgin phone line, so can’t call 150

25 REPLIES 25

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
You can call on 0345 454 1111 (national rate) or try the "known fault" line on... 0800 561 0061

But have you tried testing on an ethernet cable connected computer or laptop? - as that is what VM guarantee - not wifi speeds

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

Thanks, I’m on hold just now.  I haven’t tested an Ethernet no.  But 20-30mbps upstairs on a 1gb tarrif? 

@taycar1011 wrote:

Thanks, I’m on hold just now.  I haven’t tested an Ethernet no.  But 20-30mbps upstairs on a 1gb tarrif? 

Depending on the environment when talking about wireless yes, it is certainly possible.

None of your devices may be even capable of those speeds, and even then the HUB 4/3  are only WiFi-5, which isn't capable of 1Gbps.

Just off the phone from the helpline.  The router is receiving an average of 1100, but my laptop is receiving 550 on ethernet and less than 100 on wifi while right next to the router.

Hi taycar1011, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

We're sorry to hear you're not getting the speeds you were hoping for. 

If we've run through checks and can confirm the Hub is receiving the correct speed then the issue will be the speed coming from the Hub to your equipment. 

With WiFi, it's all to do with environment. These links will help to optimise things for you:

I can also see that you've spoken to the team and they are sending a WiFi pod out to help improve things.

In terms of the ethernet connection, I'm not seeing a device connected to the Hub via ethernet. They are all through WiFi. There is also a fault open and affecting your area currently. The details of this are here:

• Fault reference number: F009521799
  • Estimated fix time: 22 DEC 2021 12:00
  • Description: Status report || You might find that your Virgin Fibre, Voice and Virgin TV services are intermittent, with the picture freezing or disappearing now and then. We are sorry and our engineers are working hard to resolve this. 

I have made a note of this on your account so the relevant teams are aware you are affected. 
If there is anything else we can do, let us know. 
Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

@taycar1011 wrote:

But 20-30mbps upstairs on a 1gb tarrif? 

The magic of wifi is not that good...

---------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the info.  The Ethernet speed was clocked when I temporarily connected my laptop by Ethernet at the request of your helpline staff member and ran a test at least 20 times.

Also, up until 5 minutes ago there has been 3 Ethernet cables plugged into the router connecting a tv, firestick and sky q box.  So i’m confused why you would say there was no Ethernet devices connected?

Thanks for your post @taycar1011, please report back to us after the outage has closed, and we will be happy to look into this further for you 

Kindest regards,

David_Bn