cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1Gb upgrade yesterday, only getting ~70mb/s

bigredneville
Joining in

Hello all - thank you very much in advance.

I had my package upgraded yesterday from 100mb to 1Gb, technician came with the new hub and installed.

Im still only getting around 70mb/s download speeds, which is more or less what I was getting before. 

Can anyone please advise?

Thank you 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @bigredneville 

@carl_pearce  is correct. Your TP-Link TL-PA4010KIT Nano AV600 Powerline Adapter can't manage the higher speeds as it only has a 100 Mbps Ethernet Port

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

carl_pearce
Community elder

@bigredneville wrote:

Hello all - thank you very much in advance.

I had my package upgraded yesterday from 100mb to 1Gb, technician came with the new hub and installed.

Im still only getting around 70mb/s download speeds, which is more or less what I was getting before. 

Can anyone please advise?

Thank you 

If your line already had a problem upgrading wouldn't help, it could actually make things worse! (You should expect around 108Mbps on your M100 subscription)

What does this site show?

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

Thank you for replying! There was no problem with my M100 package that I was aware of, the 70mbps was the average generally. 

I got a the upgrade to 1Gb as it was offered to me. What would be holding it back? The engineer didn't mention anything 

What does the above site I linked to show?

It does a speed test to the HUB, as well as to your device, to rule out any local issues.

by wireless? thats fine.

Test by wire.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Apologies, I missed that link. I'm seeing the below:

Screenshot 2022-07-02 at 16.15.16.png

I'll add that i'm using TP Link powerline adapters, from the hub to my office upstairs (from where this reading was taken). I've just checked the adapters, and they are actually only for 600Mbps - but even so, it should be a bit faster than that?

Sorry for the basic questions!

@bigredneville wrote:

Apologies, I missed that link. I'm seeing the below:

Screenshot 2022-07-02 at 16.15.16.png

I'll add that i'm using TP Link powerline adapters, from the hub to my office upstairs (from where this reading was taken). I've just checked the adapters, and they are actually only for 600Mbps - but even so, it should be a bit faster than that?

Sorry for the basic questions!

It will be the powerline adapters. 70Mbps will be the current bandwidth limit, hence why your speed is consistently slow on both the M100 and Gig1 subscription!

600Mbps is marketing rubbish!

What's the model number?

I'm going to take a guess that the powerline adapters have 100Mbps ethernet ports...

It is the:

TP-Link TL-PA4010KIT Nano AV600 Powerline Adapter

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @bigredneville 

@carl_pearce  is correct. Your TP-Link TL-PA4010KIT Nano AV600 Powerline Adapter can't manage the higher speeds as it only has a 100 Mbps Ethernet Port

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali