cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1GB upgrade from 500mb no difference

S444may
Dialled in

Hi I upgraded from hub3 500mb 4 days ago to hub4 1GB but my download speeds are at best no better than what I had before. Maximum achieved has been 490mb. I’ve tried factory reset and chatting online to Virgin who promised they’d altered the settings but still no difference.

I’m underwhelmed to say the least 

45 REPLIES 45

Hi,

I completely understand your frustration.

I was given as well the same upgrade as you, but now not getting more then 460Mbps on a wired connection using a cat6a cable. I also have set up a wifi 6 compatible third party router but nothing helps.

When checking real speed on samknows, I can see that I receive the 1.1Gbit but then it disappears.

How can virgin do this honestly.

Anyone from the Virgin Media staff if could assist, that would highly appreciated! 

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Either downgrade back to 500mb or get your own WiFi 6 router that can do 900mb+ otherwise your just going to be unhappy.

And the question is:

will Virginmedia allow customers who believe they have been mislead into “upgrading “ to return to what they had previously, ie Virginmobile SIM card, and mighty oomph package?

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @S444may,

Thanks for the update on this - I'm sorry to hear things are still not to your expectations. As mentioned by various other members, the Wi-Fi side of things can be affected by various different external factors; we don't guarantee Wi-Fi speeds to be at the full speed of your package.

I've ran some checks on our end, and I can see that the speeds to your Hub are above 1GB, and the upload is showing no problem. There is some Packet Loss on the service, and there are a few disconnections showing.

As per our Terms and Conditions, when changing your contract, you are granted a 14-day period to revert back to your previous package. As this timescale would have now passed, and we no longer offer the Oomph packages, you would not be able to revert to the exact same package.

So I can get this looked into for you, I'm going to send you a private message. Please look out for it in the top-right of the Forums, in the purple envelope.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

• Hi Recce_MH
  • is there anything you can do for the other customers including myself with the same problem?

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Leo-123,

Thanks for your post, and welcome back to our Forums. I'm sorry to hear you're facing a similar problem.

I've taken a look at the service on our end, and I can see that your Hub has been online for more than 2 weeks. So we can run accurate checks, can you please reboot your Hub by switching it off at the back, waiting for 30 seconds, before switching it back on?

Are you also able to expand on the exact problems you're facing, so we can help further?

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

the engineer came and we tried various setups to the Wi-Fi including separating the two SSIDs and then we got nearly the same speeds as I was getting with the hub 3 on 500mb service. Nearly, but not quite. It proved that despite getting 1GB into the hub 4 it’s incapable of giving me the Wi-Fi speeds that the hub3 delivered.

when can I have a hub5 please? 

Hi S444may, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

Currently there are low stock levels so we're not upgrading customers to a Hub 5 unless they are moving to a package that will result in a loss of service such as moving to 1GB and only having a Hub 3. 

Once the Hub 5 upgrades are going through again we will be certain to let you know. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi S444may, thanks for getting back to me privately.  

This is just a quick note to confirm you're satisfied with the response and efforts of the forum team?  Remember, if you ever need assistance in the future, our fantastic community and forum team are always willing to lend a hand. Also, please bear in mind that our website offers lots of helpful information and also, you can manage your account from here.

Regards

Lee_R

Replaced the hub4 with the hub5, tested Wi-Fi speeds before and after, same room, same phone, the results are

4EB3DE3A-A5CC-4890-A4B7-C9A99649DD24.png

shown in photo: I wonder if anyone can see the changeover? Very happy, thank you Virginmedia for letting me have the hub5. 😊👍