cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1GB upgrade from 500mb no difference

S444may
Dialled in

Hi I upgraded from hub3 500mb 4 days ago to hub4 1GB but my download speeds are at best no better than what I had before. Maximum achieved has been 490mb. I’ve tried factory reset and chatting online to Virgin who promised they’d altered the settings but still no difference.

I’m underwhelmed to say the least 

45 REPLIES 45

Hi there @S444may 

Thank you for coming back to us and I'm so sorry to hear that you are facing this issue with your connection and we have not gotten a PM to you yet. 

I will pop you one now so we can take a closer look.

Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message. 

Thank you. 

Well, it’s been over two months now since I “upgraded” from hub3 on 500mb to hub4 1GB and from Virginmedia sim to an o2 sim.

I’ve waited patiently, been given two WiFi pods, done everything that I was asked to do by you, (even got told off for contacting a moderator directly) And what have I got?

Wifi speeds that are nowhere near what I was getting before I “upgraded”, coverage throughout the house that is less than I had before, the Virginmedia app still can’t connect every time to the pods, but worst of all is the O2 volt SIM card I was transferred to from Virginmobile.

I live in a large town, commute to work on the M1 to Birmingham Airport every day, and most of the time I can’t get more that 1mb download speeds even with four bars strength on 4G. If any internet at all!!

4DF9291C-F3F9-4554-9ACB-2BCA7B6F6BE1.png

AFCBF6EB-DD4B-4FF2-9F41-FBC8655FA4A7.png

It is so bad I’ve put a complaint in to Ofcomm. It’s not fit for purpose and is a severe retrograde step from what I had.

So to sum up, if you are offered a “free upgrade” from the oomph package to the O2 Volt package ….. DON’T !!!!!

Hi S444may,

I’ve had the same problem! They gave me a pod and it was use less went back to my original extender.

I use that Sam knows website speed checker and I am getting the 1gb to my door but once in side goes down to 450mb max I’ve even tried turning everything else off and also deleted the the router from devices so only one contacted to it via wire at different time of day and week and still 450mb ish. I got better on my 512mb package, at least then I knew it was around what I was getting and paying for.

Now some on here say that also my equipment is  not good enough for 1gb, but then why tell me upgrade to it if I don’t have the right equipment? End of the day I am the mug!

Yep that’s exactly what I get, Sam Knows says 1GB in but never more than 450mb out of the hub. I even had Netflix buffering last week in the smart TV and it’s connected via Ethernet cable! That never happened before I got “upgraded” 
I’d rather have what we had before, at least speeds were actually higher than 500mb on WIFI and we never had any buffering. 
Also the biggest retrograde is the O2 Volt  SIM card, it’s useless it’s like going back to 3G.

Really wish I hadn’t swapped, the worst thing is that I didn’t ask for it, I phoned up to reset a password on one of my accounts and the agent on the phone said whilst you’re here why don’t I see if you can reduce your costs?………………….

OK I said, ……..and he then offered me the switch to O2Volt package from Oomph 500mb and said you’ll get 1GB upgrade, Netflix (standard) free, up to 3 WIFI pods and a new hub4, O2 unlimited sim,  All for the same discounted price you’re on now. 
I was mis sold a package that is actually worse than what I had.

I’ve complained from day one, had an engineer out, spoken to the Virginmedia agents who keep asking me to have patience, and keep trying things for them, waiting for software upgrades on the connect app etc etc, two months later No better!!

Disappointed to say the least 

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Stop thinking you get your speed over WiFi test by wire
---------------------------------------------------------------

What?????

Please read the whole thread, and particularly my previous post on 26/07/22;

All figures are like for like testing using exactly the same phone, and  IPad, the same speed test app, the same house, in the same rooms.

The figures are LOWER after “upgrading” to 1GB with the hub4.

The higher figures are BEFORE the upgrade, on 500mb hub 3.

My original point was, and still is, despite all the sales talk and the new hub, and the new WiFi pods, the figures are worse!!

Ive never had buffering on Netflix before and I used to get data on my phone.

I don’t know what else to say…..

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Wifi problems can happen by someone in your area with a jammer.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😊😊😊

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
So what your speed by wire to your device?