cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1GB package - No DOCSIS 3.1 channel

WareingR
Tuning in

I have seen lots of posts on this topic and it seems that it needs an intervention from Virginmedia to fix.

I have the 1Gb broadband package. Average broadband speed seems to be 500-700Mbps. Superhub 4 is in modem mode and network status shows no DOCSIS 3.1 channel connected.

So obviously no DOCSIS 3.1 means no 1Gbps connection.

VM - please fix this as soon as possible as I am paying for a service that I am not receiving. I have tried all the usual power cycles and pinhole resets to no avail.

19 REPLIES 19

Not as bad. Maybe those numbers fooled the forum team, but they need to look again (a bit closer).

@Matthew_ML wrote:

Hey WareingR, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to see you are having some issues with your connection.

The Hub4 is more than capable of reaching 1GB speeds.

Please can you let me know if you use a WIFI or Cable connection?

We would expect anywhere on WIFI to get between 500MBS - 1GB.

Are you using a 3rd party router at all?

I have also done some tests and I can't find any major issues.

Please do let me know. Thanks 

It's not technically possible to get 1140Mbps without a DOCSIS 3.1 channel, so I'm unsure how you came to that conclusion?

@carl_pearce wrote:

@Matthew_ML wrote:

Hey WareingR, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to see you are having some issues with your connection.

It's not technically possible to get 1140Mbps without a DOCSIS 3.1 channel, so I'm unsure how you came to that conclusion?

conclusion was likely by "you have hub 4 you get 1Gb".

---------------------------------------------------------------

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

@WareingR wrote:

The Docsis 3.1 channel has reappeared again and I see the following values. 

I have no idea if these values are within acceptable limits but I am still getting the dropouts 

WareingR_0-1661357599697.png

QAM is low for Docsis 3.1 channel

---------------------------------------------------------------

Hi @WareingR thanks for your reply and further logs provided, that's much appreciated.

I've ran checks today and it does appear that you do have some issues with power levels to your Hub, which is likely causing the dropouts you're experiencing. 

This will need a technician visit to resolve, so I'm just going to drop you a quick PM to ask you to confirm some details so I can get this booked in for you.

Kindly expect this to arrive shortly and respond when you can!
Many thanks

Tom_W

Miggle
On our wavelength

@Matthew_ML wrote:

How does the HUB4 reach gigabit speeds then?

It only has 1 gbps WAN port for example and the overheads of TCP/IP mean it cant possibly do that. The HUB5 can do gigabit as the WAN port is higher speed at 2.5gbps.

The HUB4 can only do gigabit from the HUB to CMTS but not deliver a full 1gbps to any device wired or WiFi due to limitations of both on this hub.

Just had an engineer visit and he found an uncapped old cable at the box outside and replaced the inside wall box to hub cable.

I now have much better figures for Docsis 3.1 channel

WareingR_0-1661768849969.png

But still an interesting point about the hub 4 and delivering the 1Gb+ speeds. Can somebody from Virgin comment on whether I need a Hub 5 (and if I do will I be sent one)? I did enquire about a Hub 5 a few months back but I was told there were problems with them and they would be sent out when the issues are resolved.

My router has a 2Gb Wan port but not much use if the hub 4 can only deliver up to 1Gb.

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @WareingR thanks for your message via PM - I'm responding publicly now to bring this back to the thread.

I'm glad to hear that you've got this sorted for you today but please don't let us know if things deterioriate again for you in the future.

In terms of the speeds you're getting and not quite reaching 1GB and request for Hub 5, unfortunately the Hub 5's are not quite ready for full public rollout at the moment although hopefully this isn't too far off!

Please be assured that as soon as the Hub 5's are ready for the rollout, we'll communicate this to all.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hey, I am interested in this. I have the same package as well. But my modulation is still QAM256.

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) SNR (dB) Modulation Channel ID
31 379000000 9 40 QAM 256 31

@atat wrote:
Hey, I am interested in this. I have the same package as well. But my modulation is still QAM256.

Channel Frequency (Hz) Power (dBmV) SNR (dB) Modulation Channel ID
31 379000000 9 40 QAM 256 31

That's not the DOCSIS 3.1 channel, it's one of the DOCSIS 3.0 channels, which should be at QAM256.