cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1GB Broadband - intermittent & 40MB-80MB download speed

RP11223344
Tuning in

I got the 1GB broadband on Monday as my 100MB was failing so often with work calls. At first it worked ok, was only showing 100MB download, but by today its down to 40MB, I can't watch BBC iPlayer, NOW TV, Netflix (I tested them all) without it stalling and my work calls fail. The speed is intermittent and I am back to where I was before. 

All I think VM have done is send a new shinny v4 box with more flashing lights and the same fundamental poor service continues. 

I have raised multiple complaints before and all the online service does is open and close a ticket and tell me its been resolved. The main issue I have is that VM are the only provider to my house so I have to use them.

Does anyone know how or where to complain to an actual person and hold them accountable and so some proper speed tests to prove that they have a sub-standard service and need to either fix or compensate for miss-selling?

Any thoughts?

16 REPLIES 16

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Strange that the built in SamKnows client is only reporting a max. of 317 to the Hub, I would have expected much higher.  Do you have a BQM setup as yet?  If not I would advise you to do so and keep it running even after you get this sorted.  It's a free service and you will have a record of the state of your circuit 24x7.  Go here to setup www.thinkbroadband.com/ping

Once this is setup and running for 24 Hrs, post the shared link and we can comment on the state of your incoming circuit.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

David

How do I do this?

It is highly frustrating to have to do so many tests for something that should be straightforward

Adduxi - many thanks, I will look at this to see what is possible

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for coming back to us @RP11223344

Glad to see Adduxi has been able to advise you on this. 

Checked in on your account and I can see the area issue has been resolved. 

Have you been able to successfully set up a BQM as advised? 

How has the service been performing recently? 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Sofia

thanks for your update, I will check the speeds later on

what I just simply do not understand is as follows :

1. This was a known capacity issue which has gone unresolved for many many months

2. I have been billed for a full service when in reality I have been receiving a fraction of the service

3. When I upgraded to 1GB I was offered a redemption of some of the set up fee, but this has not happened

4. I have to share the inadequacies of my broadband in a public forum to get any sort of meaningful reaction from virgin media

To put this into context, imagine going to a showroom, seeing a car and buying it, with delivery the next day. When it arrives, despite being advertised with having 4 wheels and then it arrives with only two. Then in order to fix the issue of missing wheels you have to stand in a car park and advertise that you have been mis-sold a product and once there is enough traction someone will come and put it right.

Good morning RP11223344

Thanks for coming back to us. How's the speeds been since posting? 

It's not a capacity issue. The area issue we advised, allow me to clarify. It was an on the day maintenance with reference C01250240. Opened and closed on the same day which was the 21st October. I will accept that was not made clear so apologies. 

I've done a system check today and all of your downstream power levels require a technician visit to the property as they are out of spec. 

I will send you a PM now.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

thank you