cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1GB Broadband Contract Cheat

Nefe
Joining in

Hi every one,

I have signed for a 1gb broadband 18 Months Contract.  I got the latest Virgin Hub 5 working beautifully on a Modem mode with a TP-Link XE75 Mesh Wifi. Since I signed up for the 18 Month Contract never managed to get the 1gb I have signed for, on both routers (TP-Link Mesh Wifi 940mps and Virgin Hub 5 940mps) cable 940 mps. I have waisted many hours on several occasions on the phone to virgin, I was told from them that am getting a normal speed.  I've asked to breakup the contract, they said to do so I have to pay for the remaining Months, the contract started 3 Months ago. Please help as I am being cheated out from the signed Contract

14 REPLIES 14

Client62
Legend

I'm not sure that you do have an issue.

All 1 Gb/s connected equipment tops out around 940Mb/s & that is what you are seeing.

A cabled connected device with a 2.5Gb/s network socket on both ends is required to go faster than 940Mb/s

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Just for once, Virginmedia are entirely correct.

You'll only get 940 Mbps if either end of the connection is limited to 1Gbps.

You really have "waisted many hours on several occasions on the phone to virgin" 😞

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your connection is 1Gbps total on more than one devise, not on an individual device.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Let's say that you've got 1130Mbps coming out of the hub 5's 2.5G port but your TP-Link only has gigabit ports, so the maximum of 940Mbps is what you can get due to overheads.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

You need the XE75Pro which has a 2.5gig port  - the XE75 only has a 1gig port

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Nefe,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm sorry to hear that you're not happy with the speeds that you're getting. From what you've explained, it sounds like your broadband connection is acting as it should, and your speeds definitely exceed our minimum guaranteed download speeds on that bundle. You can read more about that here.

If you have any additional queries or concerns, please do let us know.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

legacy1
Alessandro Volta

Why did VM have to say 1Gb...if only they said 900Mb...and yes everyone is correct about your speed

---------------------------------------------------------------

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

@legacy1 wrote:

Why did VM have to say 1Gb...if only they said 900Mb...and yes everyone is correct about your speed

Because Openreach offer 900Mb.   VM wanted something a little more so they could claim to be faster. (but only for downstream 😞    of course ) 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Ever since VM deployed the hub 5 with the 2.5GbE port the hub 5 customers with Gig1 have been able to get 1Gbps speeds.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection