Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 21 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: 123-reg webmail slow loading

Intriguingly, I was seeing delays on this site.

However rather than just think it's down to Virgin, I decided to take a closer look.

First a bit about my current setup.  I have a Desktop PC using Google Chrome as my main browser. The PC is connected via Ethernet and although I do have access to a VPN, I was not connected to it.

One of the things that's overlooked is the status area in the bottom left of the screen.  Indeed I often overlook it myself.  But it does give you information about major events that the browser is dealing with.

During the delay I noticed the status bar had the following message - Downloading Proxy Script during one of the pauses.  So I decided to investigate this side of things.  As I definitely was not using a proxy.

So my first question to you would be - do you notice anything like this?

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
pauleden66
On our wavelength
Message 22 of 28
Flag for a moderator

The webbrower status bar did spend a while waiting for fast.fonts.net and some maxymiser content.

0 Kudos
southwest1
Joining in
Message 23 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Same here, I see it waiting for fastfonts. However, as already said, this is not an issue with 2 other ISPs that I have tried. The issue also occurs on my friend's VM connection.

0 Kudos
southwest1
Joining in
Message 24 of 28
Flag for a moderator

ps. I use the same laptop when using other ISPs. The issue is only when using VM

https://webmail.123-reg.co.uk/login/

VM - how do I escalate this problem?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 25 of 28
Flag for a moderator

What's interesting was that although I was experiencing the problem yesterday.  Since applying a suggested fix I haven't had the same problem any more.  Even after reverting the setting.

I've tried rebooting the PC after reverting the fix as well.  Which makes me think it's not necessarily the connection itself but how the OS is seeing a particular connection.  Bear in mind that when your connecting to a different network, Windows itself may treat the connections differently.

Now I can't be certain why when I reverted the changes, Chrome no longer displays Downloading Proxy script, but the fact that the behaviour has changed is beyond doubt.

With that in mind I would give the following a try.  If it doesn't work, you're quite welcome to say "I told you so!" - But Humour me.

If you are using Windows type Internet Options into the search bar.  (In fact the correct settings section should pop up before you finish the second word) Then press the Enter Key to bring up the following screen.

Step 1.JPG

Click the Connections tab.

Step 2.JPG

Click Lan Settings to open up a new settings window.

Step 3.JPG

Note that by Default Windows Automatically tries to detect the best settings for the connection.  However this has been reported to cause issues for some users so untick it and then click OK

Now try visiting the site again, if it works the same way as it did for me you should see a marked difference in the loading time.

To revert the change just repeat the same process and put the tick back in the Automatically detect settings box.

I've not come across any negative aspects to this.  And as stated the improvements remained after re-ticking the box.

As for escalating this.  It's going to prove difficult - from what I understand the Forum Team are able to connect to sites using the internet gateways closest to the customer @Nicola_C - please feel free to correct me on this.  In order to escalate a problem to networks, they have to try and recreate it first.  Nicola herself attempted this and was not able to see the same problem.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
pauleden66
On our wavelength
Message 26 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Now try visiting the site again, if it works the same way as it did for me you should see a marked difference in the loading time.

Tim

Didn't make any difference for me, I'm afraid.

0 Kudos
cje85
Knows their stuff
Message 27 of 28
Flag for a moderator

ravenstar68 wrote:

Intriguingly, I was seeing delays on this site.

However rather than just think it's down to Virgin, I decided to take a closer look.

First a bit about my current setup.  I have a Desktop PC using Google Chrome as my main browser. The PC is connected via Ethernet and although I do have access to a VPN, I was not connected to it.

One of the things that's overlooked is the status area in the bottom left of the screen.  Indeed I often overlook it myself.  But it does give you information about major events that the browser is dealing with.

During the delay I noticed the status bar had the following message - Downloading Proxy Script during one of the pauses.  So I decided to investigate this side of things.  As I definitely was not using a proxy.

So my first question to you would be - do you notice anything like this?

Tim

I've noticed this a lot recently on Google Chrome, including on a Chromebook which doesn't have any of the Windows proxy/connection settings mentioned in your later post. Messages such as "Waiting for..." or "Downloading proxy script" or similar appear a lot in the bottom left when loading a page. Other browsers such as Edge and Firefox are unaffected. I wonder if the latest Chrome release is buggy.

0 Kudos
pauleden66
On our wavelength
Message 28 of 28
Flag for a moderator

I've seen these slowdowns on every OS and browser I could throw at it when using VM and they go away when I switch provider.

I've tried Safari on an iphone. Firefox, Dolphin and android browser on a Galaxy S5, S8 and J3. Firefox, Chrome, IE 11 and Edge on Windows PCs and laptops.

I'd like to think we can rule out OS and browser.

0 Kudos