Menu
ascannerdarker
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

100 mbps line - speeds between 5-25 mbps (at best)

I have a 100 mbps fibre optic line but I am, and have been getting terrible speeds since I got it about 4/5 months ago.

Chaning channels doesn't seem to work and I am getting nowhere with live chat.

Is anyone able to assist?

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: 100 mbps line - speeds between 5-25 mbps (at best)

Hello ascannerdarker,

Thanks for your post, welcome to the community Smiley Very Happy

Sorry to hear about the slow speeds you're experiencing, I appreciate this can be frustrating.

What hare your hard-wired speeds like? Does this happen on multiple devices?

We'll happily continue to investigate if you get back to us Smiley Happy

Take care.

Heather_J

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
ascannerdarker
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Heather -

My issue seemed to of partially resolved itself and now it's worse than it was in March.

My current ethernet/wi-fi speeds are hovering around 2mbps (not too much difference between either) and quite often dip below 1mbps.

It happens on all of my connected devices i.e. phone/tablet/PC etc.

If you could look into what may be causing such slow speeds it would be much appreciated as it's extremely frustrating.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
ascannerdarker
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

speed.jpg

0 Kudos
Drantis
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The problem is that yet again Virgin can not keep up with capacity demands yet still sell their 200mpbs service.  Im in NW6 and have had a year of VERY VERY VERY low MPBS download speeds nearly every night !!!

My advice....change provider as you will be led round the bush several times by forum admin whose only job is to act as first port of call and not actually help.  Then you go from the plastic Virgin staff to the semi pro's who answer Facebook messages OR a phone in a call center and have even less of a clue.  Finally once you accept your £10 a month rebate (deffo do that if you are staying with them) you will get to the pro level.  These guys tell you that there are faults (IE infrastructure cant handle demand) and tell you there is nothing they can do.

In short....its terrible on every level.

Yan1
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ye funny thing that is because iv also had a bad year with VM. Supposed to have 200mbs but on average i get 15 - 80mbs and then today i get an email with Virgin offering me the 200 gamer package and yet i was told earlier in the year it would not improve my speed so why are VM purposely over subscribing their network?

I know in my area they are piggy backing off lines in the cab's reducing ppl's bandwidth even more but im still hanging in but time is running out as their are other companies out there offering speeds from 35 - 80mbs for half the price.

In VM's defence they have been offering me a rebate each month so far but how long this will continue i do not know.

ascannerdarker
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It's absolutely scandalous to be paying £45 a month for 2mbps broadband. I'll peruse it further and demand at least a rebate.
Yan1
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just to give you an example of tonights 200 mbs download and 12 mbs upload speed

http://www.speedtest.net/result/6410612539.png

I have had enough, why should i not be able to game in the evening when i want to.

Its 2017 not 1982, a multibillion pound company should not be having these issues but then again when the customers are still paying i guess they will continue to draw this out. It will only become a problem to Mr Branson when VM is taking a loss so while in profit no one will care!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear this ascannerdarker,

I've had a look into this and there are some power level issues present via the equipment.

I've sent you a private message so that we can arrange for one of our engineers to visit.

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos