cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 gig service speeds on Hub 4.

dog-man
On our wavelength

I currently have the 500 service, but have received an email telling me that the 1Gig service is now available in my area.

I believe that I have a hub 4. I have read reports that the Hub 4 cannot achieve the full speed of the 1 Gig service. Is this correct?

If and when I sign up for this faster service will I be issued with the new Hub 5, which can cope with the faster speed.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
It will get just below 1GB on an ethernet cable connection but not on wifi. It will top out at ~600 as the Hub is only wifi5. To get close to 1GB you need to get your own wifi6 capable wireless equipment - and Wifi6 capable devices too - of course

The Hub5 does have wifi6 but you will not get a Hub5 - it is only being issued to customers on lower packages ATM.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

30 REPLIES 30

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
It will get just below 1GB on an ethernet cable connection but not on wifi. It will top out at ~600 as the Hub is only wifi5. To get close to 1GB you need to get your own wifi6 capable wireless equipment - and Wifi6 capable devices too - of course

The Hub5 does have wifi6 but you will not get a Hub5 - it is only being issued to customers on lower packages ATM.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

dog-man
On our wavelength

Oh dear,

I currently have my Hub 4 in modem mode and is connected to my GT-AX11000 router which is wifi 6 enabled and is 2.5 Gig capable,

I probably won't waste my money then if I cannot get the full benefit of their 1 Gig offering.

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
As you have your own wifi6 router you will get full speeds from it on wifi and ethernet. So, close to 1GB if you go for that service.

--------------------
John
--------------------

dog-man
On our wavelength

Even with a Hub 4?

Shouldn't the speeds be around 1.2 Gig or even more?

If I can't get the max that is advertised by Virgin, I don't see the point.

It's false advertising!

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Yes any Hub that is simply acting as a modem.

Re. the maximum speeds I cant comment on the physics/electronics - someone else should do that shortly

--------------------
John
--------------------

For a single device you are never going to get over 940mb due to the fact the hub4 uses 1 gig ports.

Yes it is possible to bond two 1gig lines but its not easy and most routers dont have the correct protocol to get it to work.

The 1.2gig that virgin claims comes into play if for example you were maxing out two of the 1gig ports (on different devices)

Or one on ethernet and one on WIFI simultaneously.

So yes you can get over a gig but not on just one device.

If you connect your hub4 (in modem mode) to your router it will be via a single 1gig ethernet port/cable, therefore will everything will be restricted to that speed.

You are not the first person to question the pairing of a wifi5 router with single gig ports on a connection called 1gig.

"Thanks to average download speeds over 1Gbps – that’s 1,130Mbps"

I would also have to agree that its a little on the deceptive side.

dog-man
On our wavelength

So not worth wasting my money then.

If I had a Hub 5, does that change things?

I note that has a 2.5 Gig port and so does my router?

@dog-man the speed you get on any one device is limited by the ‘slowest’ link in the chain. If you had a Hub 4 with a 1Gig subscription then the slowest component would be the Ethernet connection to your own router, as the hub 4 only has gigabit Ethernet ports, they will max out at 940-95’ish Mb/s so although the speed into the VM hub would be faster and your WiFi 6 connection would also be faster, it’ll be held back by that.

Now the Hub5 does have a 2.5 Gb/s port so if connect your router via that then, yes you would get the full speed available - everything else being equal and working properly.

Trouble is, the Hub5 has only just become available, is in very limited numbers, you could certainly ask but I suspect the chances of you getting one is slight.

Well, if you consider 940mb a waste of money, then yes.

The hub5 does have a 2.5g port and wifi6 however it is only on trail at the moment.

Good luck getting your hands on one.