cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 gig random speeds

Amnesiac73
Tuning in

Hello all, I know this has been posted numerous times but ‘every’ issue can be different so…..

Upgraded to the 1 gig service yesterday and got to say I am having issues. My 500 meg service, the wifi dl speeds were between 400-480, into the hub 3 i was getting 500-550ish (I use the hub in modem mode with an Asus RT-82 router). 

Tried the Hub 4 in and out of modem mode but wifi speeds are very up and down (literally!). Ranging from 280-600 but upload speeds are spot on (about 50-55). Speeds into the modem range from 680-870 and upload speeds are, again 50-55. Is this all correct? I was expecting a bigish change to the speeds.

Spoke to an advisor snd they said everything looks ok their end and that they are sending me a pod to help increase wifi speeds but not 100% sure this will fix anything.

Any support will be greatly appreciated. Ive included some data from the status.

Thanks

29 REPLIES 29

Hi @Amnesiac73 thanks for getting back to us.

I am sorry you've not yet received your pod.  I would like to take a closer look on your behalf.  I am going to send you a private message.
Regards

Lee_R

Hi @Amnesiac73 thanks for confirming your details with me privately.

I have booked the first available tech to attend your property.  You can view and amend your appointment here.  Please do update us with how things go.

Regards

Lee

Ok, brilliant.

No problem at all Amnesiac73. 

Pop an update here once the visit has taken place to keep us posted on how things have gone. 

Take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

The engineer changed some connections but wifi speeds have not improved. Rarely get above 350 now downstairs when before it was usually 450-550 so no idea what’s going on…..

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Amnesiac73,

Thank you for coming back to us in regards to your ongoing issue and letting us know how your appointment went. I'm very sorry to hear that you're still experiencing some ongoing issues with your speeds! 

I was able to check our systems in regards to this ongoing issue and I can see that you have a third party Hub plugged in and you're currently using our Virgin Media Hub in Modem Mode. 

As we're unable to support any equipment other than our own, would you be able to put your Virgin Media Hub in Router Mode and check what speeds you're receiving in that state? 

Please keep us updated, so we can help further. 

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Have reset the router (Virgins hub 4) and still getting very patchy wifi connection and been having drop outs from various devices from ipads to phones, playstation etc. So, not too great.

Sorry its been so long, everything settled but now having the above issues the last few weeks. There was an issue locally but that was fixed and not helped.

Hi Amnesiac73,

Thanks for coming back to us on this and I'm sorry to hear you're still having an issue with your WiFi connection. 

There are so many things that can influence a WiFi connection some of which include but are not limited to, a fish tank being in the same room, walls being built with concrete instead of brick, it could even be that your next door neighbours router is interfering with yours. Due to this, we are only able to offer limited help. Please have a look here. 

The Hub's location could also be causing the coverage problem so we do need to check the positioning of it. Can you please ensure the following: 

> Out in the open

> Next to the TV not behind it

> Away from large bodies of water (e.g. fish tanks)

> Away from baby monitors and cordless phones

> Away from microwaves

Think of the Hub as a radio, and WiFi as the sound - the further away you are from the radio, or the more obstacles that are in the way (walls, electronic devices etc.), the quieter the radio & the poorer the WiFi. 

If that doesn't help, you can download our Connect App which will allow you to scan areas of your home and will offer help. You can view more information on that here.

We have also just launched our WiFi Max service which guarantees a speed of 20MB in each room or you'll get a £100 bill credit. You can view more on that here.

Keep us posted on how things go after trying all this. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Had major issues today and contacted the team and have an engineer coming tomorrow. Cant sign in or connect to the router. Wrong password etc even though its correct. Reset, turned off, same issue. Hopefully sorted tomorrow.