cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 gig not delivering expected speed

Manicmike500
On our wavelength

I took the upgrade to 1 gig broadband last week and have to say, I am disappointed.

Since the upgrade I am averaging between 520Mbps and 630Mbp downstream, where I expected to pull in about 900. On the whole, the upstream achieves the expected 52Mbps.

I have tried multiple set up scenarios, but do. not appear to be gaining any real benefits.

I had an Asus RT-AC88u router connected to the newly supplied Hub4 set to modem mode. Average speeds floated around 380Mbps. 

Having decided I had that router for some time, I decided it would be a good time to upgrade and opted for the TP-Link Archer AX6000, capable of 2.5Gbps wan and 8 1Gbps Lan ports. This upgrade improved speeds from the previous 380Mbps average to around 540Mbps. I then swapped out the ethernet cable from the wan port to the Hub4 with a 2000mhz Cat8 cable which has offered further improvement, but I cannot seem to increase any more than this.

QoS is turned off, and if I disable all threat detection modules within the router, there are no improvements to speeds.

Speed tests are carried out using the router's built in test app linked to Speedtest.net. Most tests have been run without any other devices connected to the router, therefore, should be straight through speeds.

If I put the Hub4 in router mode and run a test using Speedtest I get between 500 and 600 Mbps, these tests are carried out via MacBook Pro 16 inch 2019 and iPhone 11 Pro Max. I do not have ethernet enabled devices to test through the Hub4. 

My summary is that it appears as if there is a bottleneck in the Hub4 lan ports which is throttling back the speeds before delivering to devices.

I have been testing the connection over the last few days and latency is up and down.

Screenshot 2022-01-15 at 12.51.56.png

Screenshot 2022-01-15 at 12.46.54.png

Screenshot 2022-01-15 at 12.48.42.png

If anyone has any ideas to help reach speeds closer to the 1gig, I would be grateful 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Manicmike500 wrote:

Screenshot 2022-01-15 at 13.21.22.png

Wow, that's a lot of T3 errors.

I also noticed you have over 5000 'Uncorrectables' on your DOCSIS 3.1 channel which is unusual.

VM need to review your connection.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

carl_pearce
Community elder

So you don't have any wired devices to test with?

What does the integrated speed test show, that's built into the TP-Link Archer AX6000?

Using the TP-Link is considered as a wired test.

If you put the HUB 4 back into router mode and run the below test what are the results?

https://samknows.com/realspeed/

@carl_pearce, thanks for your reply. The speed test results shown above are from the integrated speed test facility in the router, providing the wired connection. 

I cannot carry out a wired test outside of that scenario due to all portable devices being wifi only. 

Through my regular testing with the router, I have achieved speeds of 700 to 800 on just two occasions. 

@Manicmike500 wrote:

@carl_pearce, thanks for your reply. The speed test results shown above are from the integrated speed test facility in the router, providing the wired connection. 

I cannot carry out a wired test outside of that scenario due to all portable devices being wifi only. 

Through my regular testing with the router, I have achieved speeds of 700 to 800 on just two occasions. 

Sorry, I missed that part of your original post.

Could you post the remaining data from your Downstream, Upstream, and Networklog tabs from your HUB?

Using Samknows for testing when in router mode, the speed to the hub4 is around 1100, but speeds to devices are approximately the same as those recorded from my TP-Link router. 

@Manicmike500 wrote:

Using Samknows for testing when in router mode, the speed to the hub4 is around 1100, but speeds to devices are approximately the same as those recorded from my TP-Link router. 

Wireless speeds are limited by the worst link on both sides of the connection. 500 - 600Mbps over wireless is pretty good, especially on the HUB 4!

1100Mbps to the HUB means there must be something amiss locally.

Screenshot 2022-01-15 at 13.13.32.pngScreenshot 2022-01-15 at 13.13.45.png

My first thought was an issue locally, given 1100 on the connection to the house side.

However, two routers wired to the hub4 with nothing else attached to the network still only pulling 600 down would suggest a hub fault would I not?

I would agreed with you @carl_pearce with regard to the wifi speeds, and wouldn't expect much more than 600 (although the router is capable of 4gbps on 5gz band). The issue is presenting outside of the wifi system. 

@Manicmike500 wrote:

My first thought was an issue locally, given 1100 on the connection to the house side.

However, two routers wired to the hub4 with nothing else attached to the network still only pulling 600 down would suggest a hub fault would I not?

I would agreed with you @carl_pearce with regard to the wifi speeds, and wouldn't expect much more than 600 (although the router is capable of 4gbps on 5gz band). The issue is presenting outside of the wifi system. 

Downstream channels look ok, and the Upstream?

Screenshot 2022-01-15 at 13.21.22.png