cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 gig Upgrade

paulovader01
Joining in

Had an engineer visit today following an upgrade to 1 gig.

So if I have this right, told me the Hub 4 isn’t up to the job and whilst it receives 1 gig it is not able to pass this onto devices in our home ????? He checked ours with his own device and said it was receiving 0ver 1 gig.

We are regularly posting speed test scores of between 350 and 450 (sometimes lower) and he told me the way to fix it was to set-up a mesh network ?

I had some BT Discs from before but having connected these it doesn’t seem to have made any difference.

Anyone else come across this ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

carl_pearce
Community elder

@paulovader01 wrote:

So if I have this right, told me the Hub 4 isn’t up to the job and whilst it receives 1 gig it is not able to pass this onto devices in our home ????? He checked ours with his own device and said it was receiving 0ver 1 gig.

We are regularly posting speed test scores of between 350 and 450 (sometimes lower) and he told me the way to fix it was to set-up a mesh network ?

I had some BT Discs from before but having connected these it doesn’t seem to have made any difference.

Are we talking about wireless devices?

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

There are 10's of standards of WiFi.

Each of your devices will probably use a different standard, and on top of that the HUB 4 is WiFi-5 so not the latest standard.

It's the worst of both sides of the connection that will equal your expected speed over wireless. Then you have walls, objects, and other wireless networks in your area causing interference making things worse!

To give you an example I use a third party ASUS router that is WiFi-6.

My mobile only connects at 433Mbps due to the wireless card in it. You roughly half to two thirds the connected speed to work out the expected speed. My mobile speed tests around 270 - 300Mbps on Gig1:

On the flip side I have a laptop that I recently added a WiFi-6 card and can get 1.2Gbps:

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

1 REPLY 1

carl_pearce
Community elder

@paulovader01 wrote:

Are we talking about wireless devices?

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

There are 10's of standards of WiFi.

Each of your devices will probably use a different standard, and on top of that the HUB 4 is WiFi-5 so not the latest standard.

It's the worst of both sides of the connection that will equal your expected speed over wireless. Then you have walls, objects, and other wireless networks in your area causing interference making things worse!

To give you an example I use a third party ASUS router that is WiFi-6.

My mobile only connects at 433Mbps due to the wireless card in it. You roughly half to two thirds the connected speed to work out the expected speed. My mobile speed tests around 270 - 300Mbps on Gig1:

On the flip side I have a laptop that I recently added a WiFi-6 card and can get 1.2Gbps: