cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 Gig upgrade

Koolmacher
Dialled in

I wonder if any of the mod's could answer why as an existing customer you have to pay extra for a 1 gig upgrade but if you are a new customer there is no additional charge for 1 gig over 600mb if it's available? It doesn't seem a fair pricing structure and seems to be geared towards penalising existing customers. I've been quoted £35 upfront and an extra £30 per month to upgrade from 600mb to 1 Gig on my current"Ultimate Oomph" package!

6 REPLIES 6

legacy1
Alessandro Volta
But do you really need the speeeeeeeeeed.

---------------------------------------------------------------

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Are your devices wifi6 enabled? If not there is no point upgrading at all, and even if they are, the VM Hubs are not wifi6 capable - so for faster wifi you will need to buy your own wifi6 router/mesh system too.

Speeds on ethernet connections will be ok of course

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

jem101
Superstar

@Koolmacher it's actually all very simple - marketing!

A new customer gets all the offers to entice them to sign up, and once they are a customer there is considerable reluctance/inertia to find an alternative supplier and leave and hence they have little incentive to offer the same deals. 

VM will have calculated that the chances of you leaving if they offer you next to nothing as an incentive is low enough to risk it - a new customer, though is much more valuable and hence worth making an extra effort to get on board.

VM has been offering better deals to new customers for ages, sometimes lower prices or sometimes devices or cash. Example: in January 2020 new Ultimate Oomph customers had the choice between £150 bill credit or an Xbox One S bundle (RRP £249.99) which included an Xbox One S 1TB console, Forza Horizon 4 and the Lego Speed Champions expansion. I've seen so many of these offers I just ignore them, life is too short to get bothered about it all.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

We all need the speed!

They can hardly call it the Ultimate Oomph if you have to pay extra to get what new customers get for free.....