cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 Gig Poor Speeds. Rip Off?

szchifo
On our wavelength

Just got the 1 gig service installed and i cant get over 450mbps on any device via wifi. This is what i was getting on the 500mbps service which is £25pm cheaper.

All devices (iphone 13/Macbook Air M1 etc) are capable of 860mbps minimum. Ive done all the trouble shooting and tried tech support via live chat but it took over an hour for them to ask two questions and they disappeared.

Is there a problem or is the 1 Gig service just a misleading gimmick?

26 REPLIES 26

Not a con at all.  I average 1.1 Gig over ethernet and with my own Wi-Fi 6 router i get around 950 over Wi-Fi on my iPhone 13.  Try using RealSpeed - SamKnows

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

Richw1982_0-1637267481815.png

This is on my laptop, its not capable of 1 gig, the hub is getting the speed though 

@Richw1982 wrote:

Richw1982_0-1637267481815.png

This is on my laptop, its not capable of 1 gig, the hub is getting the speed though 

How's windows 11 holding up? I haven't taken the plunge yet.

Its not bad at the moment, ive only been using it about a week.  It does seem a bit faster 

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@risc19 wrote:
How's windows 11 holding up? I haven't taken the plunge yet.

Discussed here, pop over and see !

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Tech-Chatter/Comment-on-Windows-11-your-experience/td-p/4835947

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

szchifo
On our wavelength

It’s a total con.

My MacBook M1 is capable of 860mbps and is getting 400mbps tops. iPhone 13 pro the same. This wasn’t mentioned when I spoke to the advisor on the phone.

Virgin need to make it clear it’s not Wi-Fi 6 and won’t allow full speed over Wi-Fi to a single device.

Going by the amount of people on here wondering why they are not getting 1gig over Wi-Fi, I would have to agree. 

Personally I do think it should be made unquestionably clear about the real speeds per device rather than the 1,130Mbps they keep mentioning. 

That’s not great from a marketing point of view, but would help avoid disappointment. 

54B42469-AB9D-431B-9A4D-0D2C5B474F09.png

For comparison this is from my iPhone 13. 

@risc19 wrote:

Going by the amount of people on here wondering why they are not getting 1gig over Wi-Fi, I would have to agree. 

Personally I do think it should be made unquestionably clear about the real speeds per device rather than the 1,130Mbps they keep mentioning. 

That’s not great from a marketing point of view, but would help avoid disappointment. 

Show me an ISP providing 900Mbps+ that does promise full speed on one wireless device.

All ISPs must be a con!

@carl_pearce wrote:

@risc19 wrote:

Show me an ISP providing 900Mbps+ that does promise full speed on one wireless device.

All ISPs must be a con!

I didn't say it's a con, did I.

I don't feel it is a con, I only said it could be clearer.

Keep in mind most people are not that tech savvy, so added clarity can only help.