cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 Gig Poor Speeds. Rip Off?

szchifo
On our wavelength

Just got the 1 gig service installed and i cant get over 450mbps on any device via wifi. This is what i was getting on the 500mbps service which is £25pm cheaper.

All devices (iphone 13/Macbook Air M1 etc) are capable of 860mbps minimum. Ive done all the trouble shooting and tried tech support via live chat but it took over an hour for them to ask two questions and they disappeared.

Is there a problem or is the 1 Gig service just a misleading gimmick?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

No good to me. Cancelled the 1gig and went back to M500 with cheaper price.

Rep said Hub 5 will rectify the current issue when it comes out of pilot testing.

If you’re thinking of getting the 1 Gig thinking you’ll get 1 gig speeds to all your capable devices then don’t bother.

Virgin need to make this clear.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

26 REPLIES 26

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The Hub4 does not have Wifi6. You will never get above ~600mbps on that. The new Hub5 has wifi6 - but is not released generally yet

To get close to GB speeds until then - you need to be connected on an ethernet cable or get your own wifi6 equipment

You can connect the Air by using and ethernet (RJ45) to USB-c adapter - I do that on my M1 Air

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

szchifo
On our wavelength

So it’s a marketing rip off…

Thanks for the info. 

looks like I’ll be returning the hub 4 hunk of junk and keeping my old hub 3 and get a £25pm discount for the same speed 

VM guarantees speeds using a wired connection to the hub with no mention of WiFi.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

@szchifo wrote:

So it’s a marketing rip off…

Thanks for the info. 

looks like I’ll be returning the hub 4 hunk of junk and keeping my old hub 3 and get a £25pm discount for the same speed 

No, it's clearly marketed to serve multiple devices concurrently.

Try getting up to 1130Mbps across several devices at the same time on your 500Mbps connection...

Rep said Hub 5 will rectify the current issue when it comes out of pilot testing.

If you’re thinking of getting the 1 Gig thinking you’ll get 1 gig speeds to all your capable devices then don’t bother.

@szchifo wrote:

They do.

You can't even get full speed on a single wired device due to the 1Gbps ethernet limit.

https://www.virginmedia.com/broadband/gigabit

What's the Gig1 difference?

Thanks to average download speeds over 1Gbps – that’s 1,130Mbps – Gig1 Fibre Broadband gives you more speed to spread across your connected devices. Gig1 Fibre Broadband also helps to keep online gaming smooth, minimising lag while keeping your ping rate low. So, there’s no excuse if you’re not top of the leaderboard.

It’s not clearly marketed. This glaring issue wasn’t made clear to me on the phone when I was persuaded to take the upgrade rather than change providers.

“Connected devices”

hardly a clear term. Doesn’t state wired or wireless. You can have “connected devices” via Wi-Fi 

it’s a con plain and simple 

@szchifo wrote:

“Connected devices”

hardly a clear term. Doesn’t state wired or wireless. You can have “connected devices” via Wi-Fi 

it’s a con plain and simple 

Sorry I disagree.

You misunderstood the technology.