Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1 GB speed, slightly slow but consistent

rotty66
On our wavelength

Just upgraded

Virgin quote average of ,1130MB

I get a very consistent 945-950, I know it's not a lot off but I would like to resolve

Tried Speedtest.net and samknows at various times of day and night, always same figure

Nothing else running and wifi disabled (obv on ethernet cable) 

Bought a 2.5Gb ethernet card (latest drivers) in case it was port but exactly same 

Any ideas? 

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If you've got a Hub 4, then that's normal.  The Hub 4 can connect at 1100+ Mbps, but distributes that over 802.11ac wifi (say 600 Mbps max per device in real world conditions) and via 1 Gbps ethernet ports.  Because the port speed is 1000 Mbps, and measured speed doesn't include IP overheads that are within the 1,000 Mbps, you'll only see around 940 Mbps measured speed at a single ethernet device.  You've not "losing" the 200 odd Mbps, they're available to other devices.

The Hub 5 overcomes both of those limitations, but isn't actively offered on request yet, isn't formally offered to existing 1 Gbps customers, isn't compatible with wifi pods yet, and has a range of teething troubles on the wifi side of things.  So you're probably best off sticking with the Hub 4 for the time being.

rotty66
On our wavelength
Thanks a lot for your reply, makes sense and saves me looking further into it

appreciated

Hi rotty66,

Thank you for your post. 

I'm glad to see Andrew-G was able to help with this. 

^Martin