cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wrong profile in account details VM online account

ALF28
Super solver

The avast browser displayed my secondary account profile although I was in my primary account.

Does not happen with chrome and firefox browsers, I reloaded the page and it corrected so was showing a cache memory from the wrong account. that could be a security issue.?

May be a fault in the recent updated VM account pages.

Also today, unusual, I  found 3 emails in my trash that were sent from myself  on 15/1/20201 from my own email address and ip address via mail exchange, yet not listed in my sent fold and had no subject, no to address and each email had some  few lines of unknown text which appeared to have no meaning just random words/letters.

So does that indicate someone else  is using my email which I only use myself  in web mail, so how could that happen. Perhaps a spammer is using my account, if so how could they get my password, I have seen this happen before, the email header has no details almost like a forward email (but was not one did not indicate FWD, but I did not send or forward the 3 unusual emails.

I regularly change password , but will do it again.

Note- as I have no longer used the email in  question since 10/4/2021- last email sent , but it is connected to my VM account, there is no way that I have sent the  3 emails found in trash 15/1/20201. I often also find my email settings alter by themselves and have to reset them.

I begin to wonder about the VM security?

alf28

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Alf

Thank you for posting about this. 

This is an intentional feature, the account holder owns the secondary account and so is able to perform actions in My Virgin Media for both accounts. They are also able to see their associated accounts underneath their main profile. 

The secondary account holder may not be the same person as the primary account holder, and so does not have the same access or permissions. 

Hopefully this clears things up for you! Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with. 

All the best. 

Molly

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

ALF28
Super solver

solved-

I looked at the date  15/1/21and I was testing the spell checker (in my saturday post) so may have discarded these 3 emails during testing of the spell checker, which resolved the problem for a member.

I was not aware that discarded composed emails go to trash, but that is the reason- solved- so nothing suspicious after all.

I have not noticed that before, so now I know, but had me puzzled for a while so I will delete the trash.

alf28

UPDATE- the solution in my previous post may not be correct may not be correct (discarded composed email going to trash)

I could not prove/duplicate  this happens with a test, I just discarded 2 compsose emails, they did not go to trash. Also tried discarding a forward email and that did not go to trash either.

Perhaps there is a time delay before they appear in trash? Even a refresh/reload does not show the discarded emails in trash.

I have also noticed I often get old deleted folders will re-appear back re-instated, sometimes with content that were previously deleted a while ago, just had that happen in a secondary email.

It may be the way the VM backups work, that sometimes they put back in deleted items (usually sub folders), perhaps to make sure you want them deleted?

So is there an explanation?-  any advice. Perhaps someone else can test it out.

The only other possibility is that my email account(s) are being monitored and someone checking the activity for some reason and making changes/checks to my email account? As the email has not being actively used for many years, except to receive newsletters and spam and  I long ago switched to other email providers, not sure why these strange things keep happening, but is primary email (ntlworld.com) connected to my VM account for 20 years plus.

I also do get strange changes to my secondary email (virginmedia.com)

alf28

wrong profile in account details VM online account

STILL HAPPENS today -edge browser (up to date)

If I log into my secondary account, then log out, and then log into my primary account and click on profile it brings up the secondary account profile which I can edit, so logged into both secondary and primary accounts in the same page at the same time???

However, this does not work in reverse, the profile for the secondary account is correct every time.

Perhaps this is the avast  or edge web browsers or the new layout of the virgin account recently changed- must be a security violation here?

Or do I need to clear the browser chache each time before logging in???

I have had no reply yet, so perhaps this one can not be answered  or "no one" from virgin or the community has an answer yet, if you have an avast and the edge browsers give it it a try please - I am using windows 11, let me know if this is just me getting this issue.

alf28

Hi @Alf

Thank you for posting about this. 

This is an intentional feature, the account holder owns the secondary account and so is able to perform actions in My Virgin Media for both accounts. They are also able to see their associated accounts underneath their main profile. 

The secondary account holder may not be the same person as the primary account holder, and so does not have the same access or permissions. 

Hopefully this clears things up for you! Please let us know if there is anything else we can help with. 

All the best. 

Molly

ALF28
Super solver

Also again today, unusual, I  found 1  x emails in my trash that was sent from myself- my own ip address

This may be a mistake or glitch but odd it is sent from myself and in trash, yet nothing in the sent folder

The email had no subject or content, and only a part header, which  appears to have been cancelled before it was sent, so does not follow through the normal header of 5  hops and just shows - Mx.tb.mail.iss.as9143.net use HTTP http:// - slower, unencrypted and non-secure connection on port 80. Consider upgrading to SSL / HTTPS (the IP  was "slightly different" to the usual address but via Vodaphone Libertel B.V Amsterdam -Ziggo which is a virgin email server)

I presume I must have clicked on reply or forward and then discarded?

This must have a logical explanation?, I have seen this before, usually connected with a cancelled email, but I was not aware of sending any recent emails, unless it was a wrong click, and this appeared in trash as an unexpected entry, as I regularly check my folders.

Hi ALF28,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome back, does sound a little strange but as you have advised it does sound like it may have been an accidental Email your end which hasn't completed, all I can advise is keep an eye on things ands if you do see any patterns emerging let us know and we will be more than happy to investigate further.

Regards

Paul.

Also, again today, unusual, I found 1 x emails in my trash that was sent from myself- from my own ip address with no subject and  no recipient

This cannot be done by accident as it would require composing an email and then deleting and choosing delete draft.

I can duplicate this event, and it does go to trash, but the message ID is different for the one I deleted as a test contains @oxbe10.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net

The one that appeared mysteriously (not done by me, contained a different message ID containing @oxbe25.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net 

Also, when this deleted message appeared in the trash folder yesterday, a strange message flagged up in my email-

drop EML file here for import.

It was odd but as I no longer use the ntlworld.com as my main email address, I am not worried but flagged as an unusual event.

Hi ALF28

Thanks for updating us with recent events, this is very strange and I have raised this with our investigation team to look into.

Rob

thanks for your assistance.

Following the event of a deleted draft email on 8/11/22 in the trash folder, when logging out of my VM email the next day, I got a message that it would log me out of all browsers which was again unusual and the first time it has happened.

This may mean other sessions of the email was open, but as I have a very strong password it would not be easy for anyone else to log into my email.

It is possible to have multiple sessions of email open at the same time so it might remain logged in another browser/computer even though you log out.

I do not use the VM email to send, only to receive, but did a test to check that send/receive was working properly after this event.

It is possible sometimes for things to appear in trash unexpectedly, but rare as I always empty trash after deletions.

I have also seen deleted items in trash re-appear later after the trash has been emptied for some reason, so that could be what has happened.

I will post if it should happen again.