cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

@virginmedia account hacked

Steve1977
On our wavelength

Woke up this morning to find my Facebook account has been hacked numerous times and after logging into my virginmedia email address, I realise why.

They hacked my Virgin email and told me in a ransom email what my password was.

Stupidly I kept the same password that tech support gave me a few weeks ago and within the email it says they have installed Trojan software and been monitoring my activities. Not suprisingly though, the email had zero specifics but it's a bit un-nerving.

Don't for the life of me believe them otherwise they would know I don't even use my Virginmedia email addy lol

I've changed various passwords including the one for my virgin media account but is there anything else I should do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Steve1977, 

Thanks for posting this on our forums, I am sorry to hear that your accounts have been hacked via your Virgin Media Email Account. 

You've done the right thing in changing various passwords, in terms of other things you could do I would suggest -

• Performing virus scans on all devices that may have had access to the hacked accounts.
  • Changing your password on your Virgin Media Online Account, you can also update your memorable word via your Online Account too. We can also do this on our side if you wanted. 
  • I would also call the police if you feel it's necessary in order to start a civil investigation into fraudulent activity.

There are some things I would like to do on our side as well to make sure we don't miss anything ourselves. This would be creating a complaint case for the incident and also emailing our data protection team to make them aware this happened. 

I'll send you a PM now so we can get this started.

Speak soon!

Megan_L

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Steve1977
On our wavelength

Checking on here: https://haveibeenpwned.com/  it says my virginmedia email address has been pwned in 5 data breaches.

What is a "breach" and where has the data come from?

A "breach" is an incident where data is inadvertently exposed in a vulnerable system, usually due to insufficient access controls or security weaknesses in the software. HIBP aggregates breaches and enables people to assess where their personal data has been exposed.

wth Virgin? do they need to make others aware of this?

This website explains it more succintly...https://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-i-have-to-share-bad-news-with-you/

There's been a data breach at Virgin Media. 

Any news on this one Virgin? Are you going to advise your customers there  has been a data breach? 

Anyone from Virgin reading this?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It takes 2 or 3 days since the last post for a VM staff member to get to your post, so if you keep bumping it you will never get an answer.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

@Tudor wrote:

It takes 2 or 3 days since the last post for a VM staff member to get to your post, so if you keep bumping it you will never get an answer.

And, do you think he will get a meaningful answer, even if he doesn't bump the thread?

Now, although it has no legal significance, I find the maxim of 'Qui tacet consentit' (I'll leave it to the reader to look up the translation) to be suggestive.

Hi Steve1977, 

Thanks for posting this on our forums, I am sorry to hear that your accounts have been hacked via your Virgin Media Email Account. 

You've done the right thing in changing various passwords, in terms of other things you could do I would suggest -

• Performing virus scans on all devices that may have had access to the hacked accounts.
  • Changing your password on your Virgin Media Online Account, you can also update your memorable word via your Online Account too. We can also do this on our side if you wanted. 
  • I would also call the police if you feel it's necessary in order to start a civil investigation into fraudulent activity.

There are some things I would like to do on our side as well to make sure we don't miss anything ourselves. This would be creating a complaint case for the incident and also emailing our data protection team to make them aware this happened. 

I'll send you a PM now so we can get this started.

Speak soon!

Megan_L

Steve1977
On our wavelength
Thank you, I forwarded on the email to report@phishing.gov.uk but I will contact the police too.