cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

unknown network

Johanbrown
Tuning in

how can i identify this unknown network. 

ii have a lap top and simless iphone connected to the hub. 

traceroute to any ip address always show 10.53.36.229

hundreds of pounds lost in illegitimate uber card transactions last week.

i feel like my online activity is being watched.

Johanbrown_1-1652466983359.png

9 REPLIES 9

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Johanbrown wrote:

how can i identify this unknown network. 

It is your connection to the internet, not an unknown network. Disconnecting your device from the Hub's Wi-Fi should change the Connectivity (IPv4/IPv6) value to Disconnected; a less drastic indicator is the IPv4 default gateway value of 192.168.0.1 which is the IP Address for your Hub.

traceroute to any ip address always show 10.53.36.229

Likely your are seeing 10.53.36.229 at hop 2 of the trace route result and it is the IP Address for a Virgin Media device that forms part of their network's infrastructure over which your network traffic travels.

hundreds of pounds lost in illegitimate uber card transactions last week.

i feel like my online activity is being watched.

Sorry to read that. Hopefully Uber and / or your credit card provider have refunded you for the fraudulent transactions and provided appropriate advice to protect yourself against such fraud in future.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

thanks for your reply.

If it was a virgin ip would it not be a 192.xx 194.168.4.100 (dns address) or 81.100 (external ip)

all i read online is that a 10.xx or a 127.xx are private ip's for devices on my local network. 

could you explain your comment it could be a virgin device on their network. if it is on their newtwork, it is not local so it should not identify with a 10.xx IP

in addtion to the 10.53.36.229 address i am alwayts connected to a 127.0.0.1. i get ping responses on the iphone and laptop when wifi off and airplane mode on. 

i appreciate your help. and hope you can help me further. 

Johanbrown
Tuning in

Hello.

See below screen shot of resouce montior. what is a TCP connenction and why is activity showing when wifi is off?

wifi off tcp connections.jpg

when i connect to wifi, within seconds all of these connections commence. 

is this normal?

i have mcafee live safe anti virus

2 seconds after turn wifi on.jpg

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Johanbrown wrote:

thanks for your reply.

If it was a virgin ip would it not be a 192.xx 194.168.4.100 (dns address) or 81.100 (external ip)

all i read online is that a 10.xx or a 127.xx are private ip's for devices on my local network. 

could you explain your comment it could be a virgin device on their network. if it is on their newtwork, it is not local so it should not identify with a 10.xx IP

in addtion to the 10.53.36.229 address i am alwayts connected to a 127.0.0.1. i get ping responses on the iphone and laptop when wifi off and airplane mode on. 

i appreciate your help. and hope you can help me further. 

Read What is time-to-live (TTL)? | TTL definition | Cloudflare to better understand how TTL is used by trace route. The trace route shows an address of 10.x.x.x because the network packet was routed from your local network through another where the TTL decremented to zero causing its IP address to be returned in the ICMP message.

localhost and 127.0.0.1 refer to the device itself and can be used to access network services it is running without the need for any physical network interface. For example response to ping localhost or ping 127.0.0.1 are from the service running on the device.

Johanbrown
Tuning in

Hello.

I have had 938 of these in 3 days attemteped connections blocked via the VM DMS IP to various ports mainly 60000+ 

is this normal? i hope that McAfee is blocking i just wish to understand what and why this is occuring. thanks

blocked incoming connection.jpg

Wireshark might help

maybe in some areas not mine but what is happening to me is I send one ping by timestamps and get three replies...maybe where you are you send a DNS request and get three of the same reply and your firewall thinks this is a problem?
---------------------------------------------------------------

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Johanbrown and anyone else concerned about this, the ‘unknown network’ is simply the link-local IPv6 network which the device has set up. It can’t find a DNS server so doesn’t”5 know what network this connection belongs to hence the message. If it bothers you then disable IPv6 on your device, otherwise forget about it.

The 10…. address is the CMTS your hub is connected to at the other end of the cable. Again, this is fine, just forget about it.

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Johanbrown

Just to reassure you, this is normal. As @jem101 advised, the unknown network is the link-local IPv6 network which the device has set up. If you do not wish to see this, you can disable IPv6 on your device. Hope this helps 🙂

Kind regards,

Serena