cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'tinba' malware warnings from VM

Keysound
Tuning in

I have now had two separate letters from VM with a vague warning that one of my devices is infected with 'tinba' malware. The only Windows machines that would be accessing my internet at the stated times are protected by Bitdefender (home PC) and Sophos (work laptop), neither of which detects any problems on its respective PC. (The only other devices accessing my internet would be my iOS devices, which I understand are not vulnerable to tinba.)

I don't know whether I should be worried or not, but it seems odd that VM is unable to give me any specifics about exactly what was detected, or by whom. The letter suggests that there may be some level of inference involved, from unspecified information provided to you by an unspecified third party about 'internet connections that appear to be at risk of things like malware infections'.

Is there some way you can be more specific about what is happening here? Or categorically state whether this may be a false positive indication, perhaps inferred from aggregated data?

Thanks.

MarkH

_____
MarkH
5 REPLIES 5

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Keysound,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to hear you have received a letter advising you there is a Malware infection suspected on your Network on one of your devices, so I can have a look into this for you I will send you an invite into a private chat, please click on the envelope once received.

Regards

Paul.

Keysound
Tuning in

I have now received another identical letter. Virgin seems unable to give me any further information or to have any interest in investigating why I am getting these letters.

_____
MarkH

Hi @Keysound 

Sorry to hear that you have received another letter regarding tinba warning. 

What anti-virus software are you using? Most should be able to locate and remove tinba malware and it's variants. 

If you have scanned your devices again and removed any found harmful virus and such, then there is nothing further you can do. 

If you are using a Windows devices, you can use Windows defender to flash warnings of any sites that may have harmful content and scan you devices too. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

I am using Bitdefender. It does not detect any problems, nor has it ever since I have been receiving these warnings from VM. (I am assured that Bitdefender would pick up a genuine tinba presence.) Before Bitdefender, neither Windows Defender nor Malwarebytes detected any issues. All of this kind of suggests I don't actually have 'tinba', but rather that the information supplied to VM by this mysterious 'third party' is wrong. But nobody seems able to look into that.

I am sure you mean well, but the fact that you close with generic idiot-level safety advice just gives the message that you (and VM, if you represent them) assume this is my fault.

_____
MarkH

Sorry to hear you feel this way @Keysound 

We are here to try and support with any questions, concerns or queries you may have. 

There is nothing we can do further from the forums to assist with this unfortunately. The software you are using are more than adequate in finding any know malicious threats on your devices. 

So long as you are running the tests when instructed in the letters, there is nothing further you need to do. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley