Menu
0161coop
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

speed upgrade phishing?

Is this a phishing scam? The link doesn't appear to point to a Virgin Media domain.

We want to give you a fibre speed upgrade, and it won’t cost you a penny more. With faster speeds into your home, you can power more devices and have more fun. Your new speed is ready and waiting – you just need to let us know you want it.

Neil, help yourself to faster speeds – on us.

Faster speeds. More devices. Full-on fun.
From up to 50Mbps to up to…

You will go from up to 50Mbps to up to 100Mbps in a few easy steps – that’s double your current maximum speed for no extra cost!
According to an Ofcom survey, our customers have the overall highest satisfaction with our broadband service reliability versus other major providers*. Our network delivers 99.8% reliability all the way to your home, so you can get the speeds you need for non-stop entertainment.
What’s the catch?Whether you’re an online gamer, movie streamer, or digital explorer, life’s better brilliantly connected. So, what are you waiting for?
There isn’t one. No new contract, nothing to sign, no hidden costs – all you need to do now is let us know you want the boost, and your faster speeds will arrive very soon.

*Reliability source: Ofcom Quality of Service Report 2017.
About broadband speed
Actual speeds may vary from the advertised speed of your product, particularly at peak times. Lots of different factors may affect the speeds you get, including your internal wiring, network capacity, device limitations, use of a wireless connection, our traffic management policy and the number of customers online and accessing any particular website at any one time. At peak times, high usage, e.g. due to major sporting events, may cause congestion. Your speed upgrade is an increase to the speed of your fixed line broadband speed into the home- the speed you experience on your home Wi-Fi will vary depending on the factors mentioned as well as things like home layout, interference, and the limitations of the device being used.
Speeds referred to are download speeds. Acceptable use policy applies. Upload speeds may be affected by traffic management measures and heavy users may experience a temporary reduction in upload speeds. See virginmedia.com/traffic for details of our policy and factors that can affect your broadband speeds. Equipment, including Hub, remains property of Virgin Media.
CABLED AREAS ONLY. Further legal stuff applies. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles © 2017 Viacom International Inc. All Rights
Dave_cq
Wise owl
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: speed upgrade phishing?

Log into My Virgin Media and see if there is a banner offering you the free update.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
MrHalfAsleep
Well-informed
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Looks very much legit.  It is correct in stating that you have to order it via the method Dave describes above.

You should then get a confirmation email stating that the order has been confirmed, then the upgrade itself should happen in a day or two.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
mdwh
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I got the same message today, so I'm glad someone already asked - I too was able to upgrade by logging into my online account.

But that aside, why are Virgin Media still sending emails that look indistinguishable from phishing emails? It's confusing to customers, and bad practice to encourage people to click the unknown links in such emails. Also consider that even though the emails are genuine, it's not beyond the realms of possibility for someone to send out identical spoof emails with a different, malicious, URL in the links.

0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

mdwh wrote:

I got the same message today, so I'm glad someone already asked - I too was able to upgrade by logging into my online account.

But that aside, why are Virgin Media still sending emails that look indistinguishable from phishing emails? It's confusing to customers, and bad practice to encourage people to click the unknown links in such emails. Also consider that even though the emails are genuine, it's not beyond the realms of possibility for someone to send out identical spoof emails with a different, malicious, URL in the links.

Its that phishing emails look like legit emails not the other way around, VM don't actually send these emails themselves most of the time so they rely on a 3rd party and they are limited to the data they can provide to those companies as you don't really want to hand off a database containing emails, customer names and account numbers to a company that might lose them Smiley Tongue

TheBowelsOfLove
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have also received the email today. I am reluctant to click on the link as the link just appears to be a long referral code. I have logged in to my account on the Virgin Media website but can not find any banner or option to request/ activate a free upgrade.The email just looks wrong.

Edit: I have found a link to upgrade my package to the higher speed mentioned in the email but it is a paid for upgrade which will cost me extra each month.

0 Kudos
0161coop
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My email was genuine and I did get the upgraded speed.

However, when I phoned VM they couldn't find any reference to it which didn't inspire confidence.

The link in the email looks dodgy but it did work.

The only thing that made me go ahead and click on the link is that I remembered seeing a guy with a VM van working on the street side cabinet a few days beforehand!

It would be much more reassuring if the link in the email pointed at a recognisable VM domain and/ or their staff could identify that the offer had been made!

All in all abit sh17 from a security point of view.

Nice to have the extra speed though.

0 Kudos
TheBowelsOfLove
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I would just like to say that i went through with it and my connection is now running at the upgraded speed. The fact that people come here to ask about these emails shows that the emails (button links and random URLS leading to login pages requiring the account username and password) could be improved as you're always told not to click on dodgy links.

0 Kudos