cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

spamhaus.org Policy Blocklist (PBL) - who's had / having problems?!

AndyW9999
Tuning in

Just been blocked from posting on an online forum I've used for years:
"Your IP 77.97.237.xxx has been blocked because it is blacklisted. For details please see http://www.spamhaus.org/query/bl?ip=77.97.237.xxx"

(I replaced the last three numbers with xxx;-)

Checked my IP address via CMD > ipconfig/all on my Win10 PC.... no sign of any such IP address.
Did an IP address 'lookup' on line to find the IP address above is associated with Virgin Media and in particular me (see lookup data below - worrying that from my IP address via Virgin Media servers my location can be narrowed down so much!! [I've replaced that info with a bunch of Z's])

My PC's/laptop have up-to-date Bitdefender Total Security installed and I can see no evidence of there being any issues of spam emails originating from me. I use Gmail so they would be on the case if there were also.

So....is this a **bleep**-up by Virgin Media (something I would not find hard to believe!!)

Thanks for any help / advice / details of your similar experiences.

ip:
"77.97.237.XXX",
hostname:
"cpc134182-nail4-2-0-cust394.know.cable.virginm.net",
city:
"ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ",
region:
"England",
"GB",
loc:
"xx.xxxx,-x.xxxx",
org:
"AS5089 Virgin Media Limited",
postal:
"ZZZZ",
timezone:
"Europe/London",
asn:
Object,
asn:
"AS5089",
name:
"Virgin Media Limited",
domain:
"virginmedia.com",
route:
"77.97.0.0/16",
type:
"isp",
company:
Object,
name:
"Virgin Media Limited",
domain:
"virginmedia.com",
type:
"isp",
privacy:
Object,
vpn:
false,
proxy:
false,
tor:
false,
relay:
false,
hosting:
false,
service:
"",
abuse:
Object,
address:
"Virgin Media, 500 Brook Drive Green Park, Reading, Berkshire, RG2 6UU",
"GB",
email:
"abuse@virginmedia.com",
name:
"Abuse-C Role",
network:
"77.96.0.0/13",
phone:
"",
domains:
Object,
total:
domains:
Array,

Mod Edit - personal information removed

12 REPLIES 12

I did Graham, occurred to me that they may be able to configure exceptions to their anti-spammer protection.

"It is normal for a residential IP address to be on the PBL Blocklist...."

Really?!.... why would that be? Makes no sense to me when the result would be people facing unwarranted issues sending email or accessing websites? The spamhaus PBL website page didn't mention such a possibility.

Seems to me an unlikely coincidence that this has happened within a short time of joining Virgin... having never had any such problem with previous ISP's 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@AndyW9999 wrote:

I did Graham, occurred to me that they may be able to configure exceptions to their anti-spammer protection.

"It is normal for a residential IP address to be on the PBL Blocklist...."

Really?!.... why would that be? Makes no sense to me when the result would be people facing unwarranted issues sending email or accessing websites? The spamhaus PBL website page didn't mention such a possibility.

Seems to me an unlikely coincidence that this has happened within a short time of joining Virgin... having never had any such problem with previous ISP's 

Have a read of this link for a very good information post from another VIP here:  Understanding Email Block Lists - Virgin Media Community - 3169662

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks Graham.

Still seems odd to me adding IP addresses to the PBL when they have never been the source of spamming or whatever....and certainly a pain for me right now.

Forum admin has returned to me and apparently this has started happening a lot....he's submitting affected IP addresses to web hosting tech asking for a whitelist to be set up.