cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mysterious cable

Morgana726
Joining in

I went into my garden this morning and noticed a new black cable connected to my broadband box and leads through the hedge to my next door neighbours house.  I was unaware this had been done as no one informed me.  I want it removed. Please advise.

15 REPLIES 15

Hayley at forum team

I want you personally to organise getting this cable that has been fed through my hedge from my neighbour to my drop cabinet removed.

Your cable connects to a splitter with up to 60 other customers, it is not going to make a difference to your service as is the same as them being connected in the cab.  If there is a network issue being caused from your address they will check the box on the wall first.  It will not come under trespass as you have signed a contract with the agreement that VM can access their external connections at any time if required.

1. You authorise us to install, keep and use equipment at your home and you agree that we and our employees, agents or contractors may enter your home so that we can:

1. carry out any work that is necessary for us to connect, maintain, alter, replace or remove any equipment necessary for us to supply the services you and others have asked for; and

2. inspect any of your equipment which you may keep there.

2. You agree not to do anything, or allow anything to be done, at your home that may prevent easy access to the equipment or your equipment.

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

engineers can fix anything wrong with my connection. My property does not belong to virgin and  is not for the convenience of other customers of virgin. It was done without my permission on private property and I want it removed.

The cable is owned and maintained by Virgin, the fact they have done a temporary connection that does not affect your service at all is just helping your neighbour out until a permanent fix can be done.  Gas, Electric and water all have an external connection/meter so services can be checked/isolated when customer is not in, and as said is written in terms and conditions, so in no way trespass.  I may ask the question of 'Is there a cable booked in for next door' and if there isn't 'can you book one' but i certainly wouldn't complain and attempt to cause issues for or fall out with my neighbour about it.  Would just want to know it was only a temporary cable and that it was going to be put back to how it was when theirs gets done. 

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

'There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix'

As far as VM are concerned, they've installed the services to the neighbour and are getting their money. Now obviously something prevented a cable being run the 'right' way (blocked duct etc), you seriously don't expect that VM's contractors are going to spend time, effort and money by coming back now do you?

@Morgana726 now purely hypothetically speaking, how well do you get on with your neighbour?

Hi @Morgana762, 

Thank you for getting back to us with the image as requested. 

I will raise a complaint for you and escalate this internally to get things resolved. I will need to confirm a few details with you via PM in order to do this - you will find the PM in your inbox on the top right corner of the page. 

We can return to the public thread with an update as soon as possible. 

All the best. 

Molly