cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

letter about nymaim malware

Scottyboy99
Dialled in

Hi, 

Received a letter that on 2 May Nymaim was detected. I understand this is a windows trojan. I have scanned all our windows machines with Defender full scan and also Malwarebytes. Nothing found. I have read a fair bit on line about many people receiving letters and very often finding nothing. I am a little cross at the vagueness of the letters Virgin send. They promote panic and give people little chance of finding the device it could relate to. Most likely a pc but we live in a world full of tech that connect to the wifi (phones, smart speakers, smart devices all over the house, etc etc). How are people supposed to know. Virgin is not helping at all here !

I would like to know if Virgin might cut the broadband after repeated letters sent despite a customer doing the scans. I have read some cases where they have sent threatening letters to this effect which I find an unacceptable thing to do.

Thanks

Wayne

17 REPLIES 17

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Scottyboy99 👋 welcome back to community! Thank you for posting. 

Sorry to hear your concerns about the letter received from us regarding some malware detected on one of your devices! Did the letter advise that your connection would be affected if you do not complete the steps requested?

We can check the account for you to make sure there is no further concerns, and help raise a complaint with your feedback regarding the letter if you would like? I will send you a PM to confirm a few account details so we can do this. 

Thank you for your patience whilst we get things cleared up. We can return to this public thread with another update when possible! You can find the PM in the top right corner of the page in your Inbox. 📩

Wishing you all the best.🌞

Molly

Thank you, I have responded to the PM

No it didn't say my connection would be affected and if it had, I would of been extremely angry. However I don't like the vagueness of the letter and unhelpfulness in identifying affected devices. How can one scan a security camera or a smart device like Alexa?!!!! I have done all the scans on windows and have no issues. Plus I have read that Virgin does send threatening letters stating a persons broadband will be terminated if detections persist. I find that unacceptable behaviour. I am not particulary happy with Virgin full stop. SNR issues which still affect my connection, a wild installer who cut through cables they should not have when my service was installed many months ago and now this!

I think many of these letters are false detections anyway. Think Virgin needs to stop this!

I also have received three letters about the nymaim virus, claiming a virus infection in a device that had tried to connect to my network. I have Norton anti-virus installed on my PC and laptops, yet full scans showed up nothing. I checked phones and tablets as far as is possible, also coming up clean. What did surprise me though was that the first letter referred to an incident when we had been out of the country and our house empty; I had assumed taht maybe someone from next door tried to connect to my internet (I have a powerful router extender set up, which means the signal is broadcast over a long range, albeit password protected). Is it possible for the security company employed by VM to detect a virus on a device that tried to connect to my router, but couldn't?

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Simply attempting to join your Wi-Fi would not trigger the notification; for that to occur they would have had to successful join.

AFAIK these trusted third-parties:

•  operate independently of the organisations they notify, i.e. they notify the registered owner of the IP Address
  • the malware detection they report is triggered by network traffic originating from your Hub's public IP Address; they cannot know from which device(s) within your home network the traffic originated from

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

I thought that would be the case, but it is good to have it confirmed, thank you. Nevertheless, I have again run detailed scans on my desktop and laptop, but can find nothing amiss. Other devices such as tablets and phones appear to be working fine also. What to do??? 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Having scanned all Windows devices that were connected to your home network during the reported incident date and found nothing there is no more to be done. As a precaution consider changing your home network's Wi-Fi password in case a guest's infected device is re-connecting when  they visit.

OK, so I received another letter today, same as before, but relating to a date when I was not at home much. Can I ask if there is any way to find out at what time the device was connected? Also, does your system check all connections continuously or at certain times/days only? I am trying to ascertain if the infected device could be connected at other times or just on those days highlighted. Thanks

Good Afternoon @HazChem, thanks for coming back to the thread.

I can see that my colleague further up the thread has attempted to send you a private message, so this can be discussed in a secure environment. 

Please check the envelope in the top right hand corner for the private message and liaise with my colleague.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi David,

Unfortunately, I have not received a PM in my Inbox to date, other than the standard VM ones: Congratulations! You have a new rank in the Virgin Media Help & Support Community.

Cheers,

Richard