Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how can i block youtube

matt_jd
Tuning in

Hi

I've added youtube.com as a blocked site via:

https://my.virginmedia.com/my-apps/onlinesecurity/websafe/settings

but my 10 year old Son is still able to access its content. Not sure if its because its accessed via https but blocking this site doesn't seem to work. It works for other sites. Relying on youtubes settings isn't really an option as he'll change those if they are preventing him from seeing any content. He's very tech-savvy.

Ideally we'd be able to block sites like this for specific times of day?

Any help would be much appreciated.

26 REPLIES 26

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If appropriate use a suitable firewall to restrict / redirect  LAN traffic to your chosen DNS, for instance Redirecting all DNS Requests to pfSense ― re-posted from Re: Websafe not working

I've had this issue and sucessfully blocked it, it's not really that trick so just follow below steps, this will just be for the virgin media box but you can apply it to any other device as you wish:

Press the windows key and type cmd you will now see a black console window, type in nslookup www.youtube.com and you should get a number of ip addresses retruned (these may change over time).

To make the rules easier just use the first two octets of the IP addresses so in my case it was 216.58 and 172.217

Write these down as 216.58.0.0 and 172.217.0.0 these are your destination start addresses

Next log into your virgin media hub

You will want to loo for your mediahub mine was 192.168.0.10 write this down tis is your source IP address

Click advanced settings>Security>IP and Port filtering and click create new rule

Here you will add you rule - note you will need to add a rule for each destination address in this case two

Protocol set it to ALL

Source IP address will be your virgin media box mine was 192.168.0.10

Destination IP address set this to range and use one of the two addresses from above:

Add as 216.58.0.0 to 216.58.254.254

Add the rule then create another rule the same again but this time use the second destination address and input is as

172.217.169.0 to 172.217.169.254

Add the rule and click apply changes and thats it no more youtube.

If it ever starts working again just follow the firs step to see if the IP addresses have changed.

PS.Don't get me wrong Youtube has it's place and is sometime a great resource but we should be given a choice.

PPS.Sorry I did have pictures but for some reason they weren't showing on the post - if this is useful drop a reply and I'll write a better tutorial.

Then somebody comes along and does a reset or pinhole reset on the router and all becomes undone.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

Wow, that was really constructive thanks 🙂

All 2 minutes of work, you clearly don't have an issue with your children watching Youtube!

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Not sure how pointing out a weakness in your solution led to :

@c7borg wrote:

All 2 minutes of work, you clearly don't have an issue with your children watching Youtube!

There maybe some environments in which your solution is acceptable but in others it would provide a false sense of security; much like Web Safe does.

@c7borg wrote:

Wow, that was really constructive thanks 🙂

I find parental supervision is the best option, along with the threat of device confiscation when/if necessary.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Lol.. Parental supervision on the family TV? Really? Wow.. Don't watch telly or I'll take it away! Do you always get up before your children?.. 

You clearly are a Virgin fanboy, whilst most technology these days offers good levels of parental restriction Virgin fails.

Bare in mind the title of this post is 'how can i block youtube' not 'how can I unblock it', or 'how can I get round work around solutions because Virgin isn't able to deploy them' or has a commercial contact with Google that won't let them.

Thanks for your contribution and congrats on getting a few more posts for your stats 😉

Here is the Virgin Media advice on blocking apps on your tv: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-parental-controls Good luck with the implementation.

Don't blame me for Virgin's failure to provide parental controls which suit you, and if you don't know how they can be bypassed you won't be able to tell if they have been.

As to being a Virgin fanboy, I'm really not.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Great thanks, I think my method is sound, and if you have children that reset the device you can get a simple lockable box for electrical equipment (vented to prevent over heating)to solve that. Plus it's a little more obvious than not knowing hwne they're watching Youtube.

Yey problem solved.

All this effort.. Smiley Happy