cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hacked

Tich75
Joining in

hello can anyone help please ? I've been hacked on an old Blueyonder email account and am now being threatened for money etc 😢 I've change nearly all my details and passwords but they've taken over a couple of accounts like amazon and vinted and I'm worried they may have my bank details ? i would be grateful if someone could advise me as i would really like the email address shut down if possible ? thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@Leffemonster wrote:

Take my advice - freeze your bank cards asap if you can if only for your own peace of mind.

My current NTL email account got hacked and also my Microsoft account. I’ve lost my MS account completely, and all the files in OneDrive, but got my email back. My bank account wasn’t hit but I didn’t want to take the risk.

I'm taking steps to move away from my NTL email account as it’s clear something is badly wrong with VM security, it can’t all be down to user laxity. I’m moving to another Email provider as soon as I can, and hopefully I’ll be able to erase all trace of my NTL account. VM seem unable to comply with their own contractual terms in closing accounts down and don’t seem to be bothered that this (hacking) is happening to their customers, some of whom were probably resting easy, safe in the knowledge that their old email accounts had been deleted. 

Have you spoken to the ICO for advice about how VM has (mis?)handled your email data?

https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/contact-us-public/public-advice/

The recent increase in the volume of topics on the VM forums about this problem suggests that the hacking and scamming community seems to be having a bit of a campaign against these legacy VM accounts just at the moment.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Leffemonster
On our wavelength

Take my advice - freeze your bank cards asap if you can if only for your own peace of mind.

My current NTL email account got hacked and also my Microsoft account. I’ve lost my MS account completely, and all the files in OneDrive, but got my email back. My bank account wasn’t hit but I didn’t want to take the risk.

I'm taking steps to move away from my NTL email account as it’s clear something is badly wrong with VM security, it can’t all be down to user laxity. I’m moving to another Email provider as soon as I can, and hopefully I’ll be able to erase all trace of my NTL account. VM seem unable to comply with their own contractual terms in closing accounts down and don’t seem to be bothered that this (hacking) is happening to their customers, some of whom were probably resting easy, safe in the knowledge that their old email accounts had been deleted. 

@Leffemonster wrote:

Have you spoken to the ICO for advice about how VM has (mis?)handled your email data?

https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/contact-us-public/public-advice/

The recent increase in the volume of topics on the VM forums about this problem suggests that the hacking and scamming community seems to be having a bit of a campaign against these legacy VM accounts just at the moment.

it looks like the VM team have got the account deleted now thank god so hopefully the damage hasn't been too bad but it looks like the old Blueyonder email addresses are being severely targeted so because they are old the security must be week and hence they had my email address and my password from there and then just took a chance on other accounts with the same password !! what it has done is give me a massive kick up the backside about internet security and passwords but you always think it won't happen to you eh ? But someone seriously needs to take a look at all this like you say, thanks for the message really appreciate it 👍

Hey Tich75, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear about this.

However I am happy to hear this has been resolved, please do reach out if you ever need anything in the near future. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

Thanks Matt really appreciate it 👍